What woud be your top 5 movies of all time?....Why?
Jul 9, 2009 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
Just a simple list of the top 5 movies you have seen.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 22
bride.gif

carnivalofsoulsgrab.jpg

cat_people_ver2.jpg

dracula.jpg

spiderbaby1964aviam3.jpg

1..........The Bride of Frankenstein..........The Acting, the story, the effects.
2..........Carnival of Souls..........I saw it at night when I was 11 on TV.
3..........Cat People..........Val Lewton changed everything.
4..........Dracula..........The power of mindcontrol in action!
5..........Spider Baby..........Sig Haig is the best!

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 22
I own them on DVD. I watch them in 1080i. You are funny though.

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 22
Mine change with the tides, but these remain:

1. Murmur of the Heart (Le Souffle au Coeur).... I dare any film to be so bold and beautiful.
2. Once Upon A Time in the West
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. Fitzcarraldo
5. The Fire Within (Le Feu Follet)
6. War Games
7. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 22
I have at least 300 favorite movies. In order to narrow it down I had to pick from ones that had a big impact on me.

Very moving and eye opening pieces, although sometimes the message I received isn't on the surface but underneath.

These are a few of the ones that had a significant impact on how I view life and what I need to do in life:

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
The Way of the Gun
Blade Runner (Final Cut)
Gladiator
Into the Wild
Fight Club

I'm sure I forgot a handful more that had a similar impact on me, but this will do.

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 22
200px-LostInTranslation_Poster2.jpg
200px-Movie_poster_watership_down.jpg
200px-RatatouillePoster2.jpg
200px-Harold_and_maude.jpg
200px-In_Good_Company_movie.jpg

1. Lost in Translation
2. Watership Down
3. Ratatouille
4. Harold and Maude
5. In Good Company
Runner Ups: Dark City, House of Sand and Fog, Gattaca, Porco Rosso, The Nightmare Before Christmas

Lost in Translation - Love the "feel" of this movie. It just really gets to me.
Watership Down - Wonderful art and there is just something magical about it.
Ratatouille - Great music, great animation, a Pixar classic.
Harold and Maude - I love Maude haha. Cat Stevens is also amazing. Harold and Maude actually introduced me to him. This movie just makes me happy.
In Good Company - Gives me a similar feeling to Lost in Translation. Plus it introduced me to Iron & Wine. The Trapeze Swinger is still probably my favorite song by him.

Dark City - Great style. Very intense.
House of Sand and Fog - Very interesting characters and plot.
Gattaca - Interesting theme.
Porco Rosso - Talking pig who flies airplanes. Are you kidding me?
The Nightmare Before Christmas - Such great characters and I am sort of in love with stop-motion.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 22
I make a distinction between what I regard as my favorite movies and what I think are the greatest films. Narrowing either down to just five would be difficult but I'll take a stab at it.

Favorite Films

1. Blade Runner
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Unforgiven
4. Patton
5. 12 Monkeys

Greatest Films

1. Citizen Kane
2. Ben Hur
3. The Wizard of Oz
4. Blade Runner
5. Lawrence of Arabia

--Jerome

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greatest Films

1. Citizen Kane

Why is Citizen Kane the greatest film ever made? I know this film was very innovative for it's time and the people who worked with Orson Welles did indeed influence the way films were made. But is that the only criteria to measure 'greatness' of a film why wouldn't Metropolis be the best film for instance? This is a genuine question by the way. I'm not criticizing your opinion, since there have been countless people who told me it is the best film indeed.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 22
I am aware that Citizen Kane has been undergoing critical re-evaluation by many -- movie goers and film critics alike. But I personally don't buy the criticism.
In my opinion, Kane is a great story, well acted, terrifically told and innovatively filmed. It stands up over time as well as, if not better than, any other film from
the same era. So much has been written about why Citizen Kane is a truly great film that I won't waste my time adding my 2 cents to the mix beyond what I
have already said.

The only reason it is not on my favorite films list is because I don't have the patience to sit through it at regular intervals like I do with The Big Lebowski, for example.
But when the mood strikes me, I don't beleive there is a more satisfying film viewing experience to be found.

Sure, there is no shortage of people who think the movie stinks or believe it is overrated. I humbly disagree with them.

--Jerome

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 22
I like Jerome's distinction between favorite movies and greatest movies. I think this is a good way to narrow down too many good movies
smily_headphones1.gif

Favorite Films:

Heat
Boogie Nights
Ocean's 11
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Se7en

Great Films:

Godfather Part 1 &2
Lawrence of Arabia
North by Northwest
Goodfellas
Schindler's List

The problem with these kind of lists is that I just have too many favorite movies.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 22
I'll give some of my faves that aren't often mentioned, popular, or well regarded for good reason in a couple cases.

1. The Good Shepherd - I love the story, the methodic pace, and completely related to Matt Damon's Edward Wilson.

2. Say It Isn't So - by the numbers early 00 gross out comedy. I can recite most of Walter's - Richard Jenkin's - lines.

3. Gorky Park - forgotten 1983 thriler set in cold war Moscow. As a cold war history buff, I was easily lost in its world and period detail.

4. Sudden Fear - a Joan Crawford Noir classic that tends to disappear among her marvelous body of work.

5. Jeremiah Johnson - Man against nature drama directed by Sydney Pollack. Redford at his simmering best.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they're your favourite movies, why do you have them in avi format?

If they're your favorite albums, why do you have them in MP3/FLAC? Hmm?

As far as Favorite Movies:

1) Blazing Saddles - This movie couldn't be made today, and that's an absolute shame. Humor that will have you quite literally laughing out loud, flagrantly offensive to every single group, a great musical score, and more quotable lines than I can count. Utterly fantastic.
2) The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Who cares what the west was REALLY like, this movie epitomizes the American Western genre. Its length is epic, but the actors are great, the plot is worthy, and the musical score is stunning. An all-time great.
3) Pulp Fiction - It's aged gracefully and is still as excellent today as the first time I saw it. Tarantino at his best.
4) No Country for Old Men - I like dark, serious movies that don't guarantee a happy ending. This one came out so recently that I'm hesitant to include it on my list, but it hit me hard the first time I saw it and still packs an impact when I re-view it. Incredibly dark and incredibly well done.
5) Thank You For Smoking - Really, if you haven't seen this, see it now. It's really that good.

Honorable Mentions:

Super Troopers
Fight Club
Day of the Dead

Also: RedcarMoose, could you put your images on separate lines? They're stretching the layout something fierce, even on 1600x1200.

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a simple list of the top 5 movies you have seen.

I will assume that by this you mean our favorites, a combination of our enjoyment and of their quality. This would exclude "guilty pleasures" that we enjoy. For example, I really love Earth Girls Are Easy but it is not a quality movie by any means.

Here are my top 5 in chronological order:
  1. The Graduate
  2. Day For Night
  3. Annie Hall
  4. Tootsie
  5. The Usual Suspects

Honorable Mention to Fantasia and Raiders of The Lost Ark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back