What will you do: Bird Flu
Mar 10, 2006 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
When bird flu becomes transmittable my human contact and a world pandemic begins killing millions what will you do? Where could you go?

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
When bird flu becomes transmittable my human contact and a world pandemic begins killing millions what will you do?

Err, flap my arms and cluck?
tongue.gif

Seriously... I'd wear a face mask in public like you see in some Asian countries with SARS. Get a shot too, if available. Other than that, what can ya do?

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
When bird flu becomes transmittable my human contact and a world pandemic begins killing millions what will you do?

Presumably get ill and die?

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 82
Having worked on several different strains of the flu, I can say that it is one freaking resilient person. I'd say that if the bird flu epidemic occurs...you know...you just can't do too much about it really...

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 82
When it becomes a real danger to humans, I hope there'll be plenty of advice in the media. As for now, I'm trying to benefit from the low chicken prices as much as possible.

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 82
First, If I had any cats or other pet animals that commonly catch and eat birds, I would put them outside permanently, or put them to "sleep".

I would make sure to handle any dead birds with double latex gloves (my house has a large expanse of front windows that result in dead birds on the deck - one or two a week).

I would stop eating poultry for a while, with the possible exception of irradiated product, and then only in a soup or such where it was at boiling temps for a long time (1/2 hour or so).

I would limit my exposure to others to a bare minimum, and wear filtration masks wherever I went, and eye protection. I would wash hands even more often than I do now.

I would pray.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 82
Are you serious? The "Bird Flu" has only been fatal to people who were already dieying of a combination of other diseases. (living near Beijing China, ie: "the toxic cesspool that global manufacturing creates when you have no enviromental protection protocols", chances are you're body is so flooded with toxins from the water and air you breathe I'm suprised people aren't being decimated by rampant kidney failure.)

So since I'm a normal human with a functional immune system that isn't being ravaged by toxins or another disease, and I don't farm chickens, than at the moment I'm immune to bird flu. So I plan to do nothing out of the ordinary.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 82
Fools!

I would buy the most expensive speaker rig and listen to it.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Fools!

I would buy the most expensive speaker rig and listen to it.

If you blast the extreme low and high end, it might vibrate the germs and viruses away! Brilliant!

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Presumably get ill and die?

Even in the worst case more than 50 % will survive.
Since you are so noble and chose to die I will take the other side of the coin and so I would get ill and survive.
Wait a minute, I changed my mind.
A few percents of the population are for whatever reasons totally immune to any given disease.I would join team immune.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
Are you serious? The "Bird Flu" has only been fatal to people who were already dieying of a combination of other diseases. (living near Beijing China, ie: "the toxic cesspool that global manufacturing creates when you have no enviromental protection protocols", chances are you're body is so flooded with toxins from the water and air you breathe I'm suprised people aren't being decimated by rampant kidney failure.)

So since I'm a normal human with a functional immune system that isn't being ravaged by toxins or another disease, and I don't farm chickens, than at the moment I'm immune to bird flu. So I plan to do nothing out of the ordinary.

You're right about doing nothing out of the ordinary but I believe for the wrong reason. If the Bird Flu ever became transmutable between people and took a super virulent form there really isn't much you can do about it but being normal and even healthy isn't necessarily going to help you. I'm not a doctor or scientist but from what I've read the great flu pandemic from 1918 was pretty indiscriminant in the type of people that it killed, young, old, healthy or otherwise it didn't really matter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I'm doing nothing out of the ordinary.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkrull6
If the Bird Flu ever became transmutable between people and took a super virulent form ....

Well is anything became a mutant super-disease we're all gonna be screwed. I'd be more realistically concerned about the bubonic plague making a comeback than 'super-bird flu'. whats the next worthless disease they're gonna try to scare us with next? Lycanthropy? how about black lung? maybe cat-scratch scarlet fever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back