What will the music of the future be? (I have mine already, I think)
Apr 27, 2004 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
This question used to always reoccur to me when I was a little kid (of course that was about 35 years ago). When I first heard moog music on "Switched on Bach", I thought, well, that was it. But I was 10 years old, so it couldn't be the "music of the future". When I was in my 20s and I heard raw-edged techno, I thought, that's about as edgy/mod as you can get. This is surely the music of the future I've been waiting for. But then when I was in my 30's and house music came out, I thought, well, this is pretty unique, minimalist and futuristic, perhaps this is it. Admittedly, it's probably never possible to discover the music of the future, because the present always swallows it up!

Anyway, over the past five years I've finally cast my vote for the music which best represents my "music of the future". And remember it's all relative... Some of you probably grew up with my future music.

But if I had been told a cd was brought back from the future and it was:

Nine Inch Nails, "The Fragile", and I had heard it back in 1968, with its desconstructed, hypnotic landscape created from Trent Reznor's use of raw electronic keyboard sounds, distorted guitar and layered with an undercurrent of violence and anarchy, I think I would have believed it was indeed the "music of the future".

Well, that's my vote. Anyone else have any feeling about what "futuristic" sounds are floating around today?

Apr 27, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 14
That's an interesting question but I still see musicians exploring the guitar for years to come. I think perhaps in the future there will be new electronic instruments that will give rise to new sounds but for now. I don't see any shocking changes happening. Just making the most of what we have and pushing it to its boundries.

Apr 27, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 14
IMO, the combination of rock and dance music that was started by Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Primal Scream in the late 80s never got a fair hearing and hasn't been taken to its logical conclusion yet. At that time, it sounded a lot like the future of music (even U2 did an about face to jump on the bandwagon starting with Achtung Baby). A lot of those bands fizzled out due to drugs, bad record company deals, and then a little song called "smells like teen spirit" came out and channeled rock in the grunge direction. Then we saw rock music try to assimilate rap/hip-hop with (in my mind) disappointing and lame results (two flavors that do NOT taste great together, IMO).

I think it would be cool if rock music would re-examine the connection to dance music and explore that more fully. I think it could be one potential future of rock music at least.

Not sure if I answered your question, exactly...
confused.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 14
yeah, I agree with markl. applying dance/electronics to rock music should be explored a bit more.

actually, The Gathering are doing just that...mixing triphop with rock. not afraid to use a laptop to enhance their music. there are some rock/metal artists experimenting with electronic music (Scorn, Antimatter) but not the mix of both styles (besides, they're not that fantastic). Anathema touched on it with A Natural Disaster. Wolverine are supposed to be heading that their direction with their latest (not that great otherwise though, IMO)

you know, Kid A-like
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
IMO, the combination of rock and dance music that was started by Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Primal Scream in the late 80s never got a fair hearing and hasn't been taken to its logical conclusion yet. I think it would be cool if rock music would re-examine the connection to dance music and explore that more fully. I think it could be one potential future of rock music at least.

i also agree with markl that the future should be a mixture of traditional rock and the ongoing technological advances in dance music. i remember the Madchester scene was one of the most exciting points in music history but many of the bands fizzled out faster than the NME slagging it off after a few months of praise in favour of "the next big thing." The thing with many Madchester bands was that it wasn't just "Band Oriented" but producers, mixers, and DJ's were just as important. the most impressive results were the addictive swagger of Happy Mondays and the production/mixing team of Paul Oakenfold and Steve Osbourne. another would be Primal Scream and mixer Andrew Weatherall. also, Stone Roses were so cool it hurt. James were intelligent rock with dancy layers and the Charlatans had an infectious Stonsy rock geared for the dancefloor.

i know industrial mixes technology with rock, but i'm talking about something that's more apparant in the two genres of rock and dance; something that the clubber wouldn't mind going to a concert to and the rocker wouldn't mind partying with. this pretty much sums up Madchester, and i hope a band somewhere would ressurect (no pun intended) this formula and take it to it's full potential.

Apr 28, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 14
I'm hoping that Elvis will make a comeback. Man, I loved the King!

BTW, I heard that he was sighted at a WalMart in Deluth the other day. Funny thing, ever since he died, he keeps showing up in places where he wouldn't have been caught dead at while he was alive...

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
BTW, I heard that he was sighted at a WalMart in Deluth the other day. Funny thing, ever since he died, he keeps showing up in places where he wouldn't have been caught dead at while he was alive...

WalMart? or Deluth?
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 14
The future of music is gonna be jazz-pop with a lot of ambient-lounge-electronic stuff to it
biggrin.gif

and Bach of course - he was the first man of jazz and he'll be the first whatever comes next

Users who are viewing this thread

Back