What will sound better? USB Audiophile>DA-10 or a Rega Apollo?
Dec 27, 2006 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hellacious D

100+ Head-Fier
I've been trying to figure out whether to spend my money on one whole package (Apollo CDP) or go cheap on the source and buy an awesome dac (USB Audiophile>DA-10). What do you guys think and why?
Thanks,
Jay

Dec 27, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 8
As I haven't head them I really can't say which is better, but I am to in the same situation.

If you go with the cdp you won't have to deal with jitter and such which is a problem with stand alone dacs. Plus you have one less cable to buy.
wink.gif

But the DAC may be more versatile maybe.

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 8
A lot of jitter is added when the signal must be converted from I2S to s/spif to be able to get to the dac.
Does a cdp also convert the signal from I2S (isn't that the internal signals of a dac/cdp?) to spdif and back again to I2S?
Maybe I should do some reading about the internal structure of these things...

Dec 28, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 8
go for the apollo

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 8
There's an authorized dealer selling brand new Apollos for around $670 delivered. If you are interested send me a pm and I'll forward his contact details to you. I bought my Saturn from him.

Dec 28, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard
A lot of jitter is added when the signal must be converted from I2S to s/spif to be able to get to the dac.
Does a cdp also convert the signal from I2S (isn't that the internal signals of a dac/cdp?) to spdif and back again to I2S?
Maybe I should do some reading about the internal structure of these things...

You were quite right about your jitter comment. CD players have a big advantage over DACs. The DACs in a CD player can be clocked directly from a low jitter crystal oscillator.

A DAC is always connected by some means to a digital source and has to extract the clock from that signal. It must then follow whatever variations and attenuate any jitter the signal has picked up on the path. Good DAC designs have this problem under control and the DA10 in particular is designed for this but a standalone CD player is much easier to build for low jitter.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back