What will Pitchfork choose as their #1 album of this decade?
Sep 6, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 140

fuseboxx

500+ Head-Fier
Seeing as they're doing their Decade in Music feature already, let's try and guess what they'll pick as their top album when they release their 200 Top Albums of '00s list in around a month from now.

Yeah yeah pitchfork again... but don't pretend you're not interested. Maybe even a bit excited, intrigued or curious. Some people think that Pitchfork are very predictable, but you'll never know when they'll throw a curve ball.

In their mid-decade list, they put an 8.7 album at #2... a 9.7 album at #45... a 6.4 album at #12... and an album they didn't even review or rate at #4 (which happens to be the same album where they got their #1 song of the decade from) - so you never know, really.

For those who are thinking of an album not in the poll options, there's always the "OTHER (please specify)" choice; but of course, for the sake of discussion - please specify.

BTW, the choices on the poll were based on how PF rated, reviewed, listed and rank the albums on their various articles. Those were the most probable choices I could decide on.

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 140
I voted Kid A, but Funeral is definitely in the top 3. However, Pitchfork has a very hipster bias. The results mean about as much to me as the VH1 Video Awards or the Golden Globes.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 140
I voted for Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Though Wilco is probably a little too mainstream today for Pitchfork to give them the nod.

I might browse Pitchfork's list. I find their reviews very hit and miss, though. Art noise usually makes them ecstatic while something good occasionally slips in, too.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 140
assuming they're consistent with their ratings... most likely Kid A.
hopefully Godspeed You Black Emperor's "Lift Your Skinny Fists.." makes the list... in fact I'd be very surprised if it didn't place highly, since they're so hipster-core.
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 140
I'll say Kid A, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with kind of a curve-ball, like a Kanye West album.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 140
Of the ones you listed, I'd say Funeral. Although I think they're more likely to pick Tha Carter III or something more "controversial." Ultimately, Pazz & Jop is the only listing that matters to me.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 140
P.S...... I in no way mean to insult anyone's taste, cause I think all the albums up there are great with the exception of one or two.....

BUT.....you take a look at that very accurate list of great albums from this decade and realize just how much this decade SUCKED for music.....when you compare with say......the 60s where the list would read something like .......

A) Revolver
B) Pet Sounds
C) Highway 61
D) A Love Supreme
E) Sgt Pepper
F) Are You Experienced
G) Abbey Road
H) Led Zeppelin I
I) Let It Bleed

etc.....

just such a shame about music today......of the ones up there I would probably say Kid A or Funeral.....but really neither album would crack my 100 favorite CDs

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S...... I in no way mean to insult anyone's taste, cause I think all the albums up there are great with the exception of one or two.....

BUT.....you take a look at that very accurate list of great albums from this decade and realize just how much this decade SUCKED for music.....when you compare with say......the 60s where the list would read something like .......

A) Revolver
B) Pet Sounds
C) Highway 61
D) A Love Supreme
E) Sgt Pepper
F) Are You Experienced
G) Abbey Road
H) Led Zeppelin I
I) Let It Bleed

etc.....

just such a shame about music today......of the ones up there I would probably say Kid A or Funeral.....but really neither album would crack my 100 favorite CDs

different strokes for different folks... personally I'd say Kid A, Merriweather Post Pavillion and Funeral are all over some albums like Let it Bleed and Are You Experienced, and are much more emotionally & musically satisfying to these ears. but you're right in that the ratio of good to bad music is considerably less this decade. In fact I'd say over half of the albums in this poll are just crap.
tongue.gif

what I'd like to see more of is metal & punk in Pitchfork's assessment. in fact they tend to ignore significant genres of music completely in order to favour their readerbase, and rather than exposing them to new types of music they just feed them the same styles they think they'll enjoy. in this aspect Pitchfork are useless for those that tend to have more diverse tastes. I've heard a lot of crap from this decade, but I've also heard some amazing and innovative stuff that has largely been ignored by Pitchfork. they have a great influence but completely fail to branch out into other forms of music, it's quite a shame.

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A) Revolver
B) Pet Sounds
C) Highway 61
D) A Love Supreme
E) Sgt Pepper
F) Are You Experienced
G) Abbey Road
H) Led Zeppelin I
I) Let It Bleed

etc.....

4 decades from now, people will look back at the music of this decade in the same way we now look back at the music of the 60s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back