What will be ideal for me?
Mar 16, 2006 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, i'm looking for a new pair of headphones. Right now I have bose triports, which I hate, mainly because of comfort (they put pressure on my small elf-like ears, and the next day I wake up with a ear infection feeling, my glandes and everything in pain.) Mainly they will be used for gaming (xbox 360, possibly pc gaming), music (smooth jazz/jazz/maybe hiphop / rock), movies (everything) including dvds, and anything else I have a reason to use them on my pc for (this will all be done on my pc, I have an m-audio revolution 7.1 now that features coax which is in use with my speakers for DD 5.1 and DTS. I want to keep this sound card because I still use 6 ch direct for regular music on my speakers, but this card does have problems in linux, so it might get replaced with something similiar. Recommendations on that are appreciated either, I have looked at the audiophile m-audio cards, but then I have no way to hook up my speakers (orange black and green 3.5 mm 1/8" I believe, I would not want to spend more then 100-150 dollars on a soundcard, if it is even necessary, it would need coax, and orange green and black 3.5 mm 1/8" ports, as well as some good linux support (the creatives work well I believe).)

They will probably not be used with any portable devices,so it's completely fine to keep that out of your recommendations. I'm looking for good sound, and comfort, and I am by far no audiophile, I have logitech z-5500 speakers, which my headphones will probably hook to the logitech speaker base decoder thing to via a 1/8" 3.5 mm jack (also how my xbox will output sound, going through optical and then the box recieving the headphones, it worked on the bose triports.) My headphones will be bought from bay bloor radio (I am Canadian), and will not be bought from anybody else (although the amp might have to be, if I can't find them locally, these headphones are being paid with somebody elses money, and I really don't want to add onto the price limit too much.) I am looking right now at spending 200-350 canadian dollars for some new phones, and I have no idea what I can get in this range. I was looking at hd580's and 600's, but 600's I think are too expensive (also was looking at grado 60/80/125's/225's/325's, but I heard they were uncomfertable), and I read somewhere that the 580 and 600 are similiar. I doubt i'de be doing any modding, and probably will get an amp later (I know I should go with other phones if i'm not getting an amp right off the bat, but they can't sound that bad to my newbie ears.)

I also am looking for an amp (not included in that 350 dollars) for a new beginner that'll last me atleast a year or two, probably in the 100-200 dollar range (Canadian again), and preferabley if I could buy it locally (not online, or with somebody else), but if it must be bought from a person, it can be done. PS, does anyone know if bay bloor radio will buy my triports for like 80 bucks or something, I know they give 100 dollars now for any broken or working speakers when you buy new ones, and 50 dollars for any broken or working reciever if you buy a new one. I don't have an ebay account, and don't know what i'de do with these, I'de like some extra cash from them hopefully though.

I am open to akg & beyer suggestions too, the 580's were just what caught my eye. The 595's and 590's seem close in MSRP, I mean really close, but I haven't heard that much about them on my short browse around these forums, if these are suggested for whatever reason (higher dbi on the 595's vs the 580's, yet lower resistance) I will consider them too. I do not really know what resistance does on speakers/headphones, or what the frequency response really does as I am a noob, I am going to google it later, so any suggestions are welcome. I am looking for comfort as #1 priority probably, because if I can't wear them like the triports, they are useless. I will be trying them on at bay bloor radio (they have a huge station), but won't be judging sound from there because I don't think they can be trusted. So, if you have multiple recommendations after that thought, just number them off or explain why. Tommorow at bay bloor, when I probably go, some guy named John Healey (who? going to google him in a minute) will be there for questions, so I don't know if it's necessary, but I thought i'de add it.

Lastly, I've heard quite a bit about this headphone upgrade cable for the 580 I believe. How does this work exactly? Do I have to open it up, are there any risks, do I need any tools, is it completely safe? (I'm going to see if you guys have a sticky on it, I was too careless to look unforteuntly.)

Thanks guys in advanced, I was recommended to these forums
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 44
Noones probably gonna read this if you don't type in paragraphs and shorten your post a little bit.
icon10.gif
But I could be wrong. lol

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
Noones probably gonna read this if you don't type in paragraphs and shorten your post a little bit.
icon10.gif

I'll seperate my ideas soon then, just going to go eat, thanks for your honesty though, it's well appreciated.

Edit :: did a quick job just paragraphing a bit.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 44
I don't really want to shorten my post unless it's really necessary, I think if you just skim through it briefly, you should get the basic idea of what i'm looking for. No need to read all the useless junk I added, but I might go edit it again tonight, I need to go now.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 44
hey jag, i bought the 555, its simliar to the 595...

its really comfortable if thats what your looking for at first....The sound is very natural...

im returning it though cause im giong for the a900, something that has more of a bass

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
hey jag, i bought the 555, its simliar to the 595...

its really comfortable if thats what your looking for at first....The sound is very natural...

im returning it though cause im giong for the a900, something that has more of a bass

Hehe, I know little about the 595. After some more searching though, it seems the 580's are very popular, so they can't be a really big mistake. What are the a900's? Brand, etc? I'm going to check in a min, hope I find it.

Oh, and I couldn't find any links on headphone cord upgrading.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 44
i would recommend the HD 595's unless you NEED isolation, then look into A900's. I'm not familiar with the store you are buying from though, so I don't know that they would carry either.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by upangel180
i would recommend the HD 595's unless you NEED isolation, then look into A900's. I'm not familiar with the store you are buying from though, so I don't know that they would carry either.

They probably do. Sound isolation doesn't matter, anybody else that will even hear it will be in different rooms of the house, and the only thing that annoys them are my speakers when cranked. Why the hd 595's? They have such a difference in resistance compared to the 580's, which I am still really eye ballin. I do want some bass for the ocassional hiphop i'll turn on. I did some research on headphone cable upgrades, seem simple. If I do get 580's, what cheap cords do you guys recommend?

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
icon10.gif

LOL...yeah, I lost interest after about 1 paragraph JK (sort of)
icon10.gif

JaGWiRE--

Welcome to the forums, you've come to the right place. That ear infection feeling in the morning? That's from your body outright rejecting the TriPorts! However, I am no doctor, bit I have a feeling that a nice pair of 555's or 595's will clear that right up. Seriously, try going with an open style headphone and see if you prefer this style a bit more. I suggest starting with a pair of 555's (check the For Sale threads here on the site and eventually they'll come up). Just click the seller's name in their thread and select "Send Private Message" and communicate with the sellers that way. The 555's have excellent, smooth mids and their highs are somewhat rolled off. Lower frequencies are also very responsive and accurate. I think these headphones will provide you with a good (actually great) introduction into open, dynamic cans and allow you to evaluate for yourself what you like/don't like about their sound signature before spending a lot of money.

These can be driven ok through a soundcard's line out, but if you're looking for a great inexpensive starter amp to use with the 555's look at the PA2V2. It's a great portable amp that you can also use at home. It's also very small and compact and I will never part with mine. It's designer/builder Gary, is also in your neck of the woods (Canada).

Best of luck!

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 44
Sup, The A900 and 595 is probably the most talked about headphones

They're both the same price...A900 is closed can and 595 is open

OPen is a bit too loud for me, so i went with closed one. Also the A900 has pretty good bass but not as good sound clarity compared to the 595

This is what I've learned....I've only been here for 2 days....

When i went to a local dealer, the guy told me the 580 is the best bang for your buck headphone

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 44
You might want to also look into the Philips SHP895. I got them for just 50 bucks and I like them more than the HD595 - even before full burn in. Great soundstage and they also look a lot cooler. Also you get a FREE HEADPHONE STAND!
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 44
I don't know why you guys are suggesting me 555's. I'm looking to spend some serious cash, for a pair that'll last me a few years, I still really like the 580. I am beginning to guess that resistance is for bass, and the higher the resistance, the more bass to expect. I really like the look of the 580, but none of you have suggested it, yet on the other parts of the forums they are really popular. Let me rephrase my question, what advantages do your headphone suggestions have over the 580, and what are the downers to the 580? I am definitley buying these locally (nothing from classifieds or anything unforteuntly, because my mom is buying me these (DON'T humiliate me LOL) and she is petrified of buying online, and I don't mind.) My ears definitley didn't like the triports, and I'm guessing it was just my ears, because I seem to be the only person with that problem, they are considered some of the most comfertable to many people. I found a lot of pressure being pushed onto my ears. Tommorow I will give them all a try out at bay bloor (for comfort), but the design on many of the sennheiser models seems the same. What cheap cable replacement do you guys recommend for the 580's btw? Sorry if I seem like a retard (I am pretty much focusing only on the 580's ofr some reason) and ignoring your recommendations, but that's only because nobody has listed any reasons or differences between the two, I only know that it's a difference in a few dollars and in resistance. The 595's are a lot newer as well (580's are 95, 595's are like 2003 or 2005 I think).)

Bang for your buck 580 seems good. I still ponder myself about what brand the a900 is from though :|. Because i'm going to be listening to different varitations of jazz and rap/hiphop, I think the bass wouldn't be a bad idea. I just am curious what the difference between 580's and 595's are. A return policy is probably in place at bay bloor incase I don't like them, but I don't want to buy one cheap set, and then a mid set, then a more expensive, etc etc, I want to begin with something right up near the top like the 580's, and use them for a while, and then in the future maybe get into amps and 650's and that sort of stuff.

And what about beyers and akg?

I apologize for typing so much
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 44
Logitech speaker systems' headphone outs are notorious for being crappy^3 - stay away. I'd look into a little amp to drive fairly sensitive, but low-impedance cans like 555s/595s. Sound card wise one could look at a Revo 5.1 (which actually is better than the older 7.1), which should also be good at driving higher-impedance cans directly and has a dedicated headphone out (output coupling caps may be a bit small for them 50 ohm models, but 300 ohm ones à la HD580 should be fine, and you could save the money for the amp).

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Logitech speaker systems' headphone outs are notorious for being crappy^3 - stay away. I'd look into a little amp to drive fairly sensitive, but low-impedance cans like 555s/595s. Sound card wise one could look at a Revo 5.1 (which actually is better than the older 7.1), which should also be good at driving higher-impedance cans directly and has a dedicated headphone out (output coupling caps may be a bit small for them 50 ohm models, but 300 ohm ones à la HD580 should be fine, and you could save the money for the amp).

ENGLISH? LoL, sorry. My buddy who hangs here (cyrillix) says the 595 is more fun, but I don't know. I have no idea how I am going to hook my speakers up then to my computer if I use the 3.5mm green port on my soundcard. So, my sound card isn't such a bad choice I take it (got it in July). Are you saying I don't need an amp right away cause of my card, or? And what's the dedicated headphone port? The blue one (I thought that was input) or what? I'm a retard with these things. By save the money for the amp, do you mean not buy an amp, or save up for a good one like the gilmore later?

EDIT :: Cyrillix said the silver port is headphone out if you have no amp. I understand.

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 44
Cyrillix says he has 880's, they seem in the same price range as the 580's. They are "brighter" or more treble enhanced, i'm not sure if i'de like this. No ones mentioned them yet, but any comments comparing the two, and any difference in comfort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back