What will be ideal for me?
Mar 17, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by UezeU
Locally = more of your money. Of course, for many in this hobby, it has no bearing.

Yeah, but return policy, and the fact that it's my moms money, and I'm not getting into the online buying discussion with her.
Hm, I went to the headphone forum, and the headphone only sticky confused me. I'm not sure how much i'de get for these gadgets (was going to sell them to ebgames, but I thought I could get more), and I am also looking to sell my bose triports. This isn't the thread to discuss it, and I apologize for going off topic, I think I will pm an admin later and ask him if I can "trade" this stuff, for audio gear, I am not really interested in selling it.

Anyway, thanks guys for all the help you've given me so far. I'm probably going to go to these radio stores tommorow.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #32 of 44
Oh, I forgot to ask, but what sort of burn-in time should I expect?

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #34 of 44
I tried on 595's, comfortable, but I don't think there cable is uprgadable (is it/is there a difference) (are amps available that work well with the 595, or little preformance increament compared to 580's?), and I prefer the 580 which isn't available in any store. I only am allowed to do in real life trades or sales, and I can't find anyone who has 580's in thornhill or richmondhill who would meet up and let me test them. Hell, I'de pay cash, or trade a psp or something considering I have all these gadgets I don't use (DS, gamecube, modded xbox, psp, gameboy sp advanced, msn watch, etc.)

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I tried on 595's, comfortable, but I don't think there cable is uprgadable (is it/is there a difference) (are amps available that work well with the 595, or little preformance increament compared to 580's?), and I prefer the 580 which isn't available in any store. I only am allowed to do in real life trades or sales, and I can't find anyone who has 580's in thornhill or richmondhill who would meet up and let me test them. Hell, I'de pay cash, or trade a psp or something considering I have all these gadgets I don't use (DS, gamecube, modded xbox, psp, gameboy sp advanced, msn watch, etc.)

Don't even worry about cable upgrades yet. First, get a pair of headphones you like and are comfortable with and then mod them if you feel its neccessary. Take it one step at a time and don't get ahead of yourself/overwhelmed. I own the a900's and they're great. I have also used the 595, 555 and 580s. They are all unique in their own right, but I feel that for your uses you demand a more diverse and dynamic (no pun intended) headphone that can do a lot of things well. Keep that in mind when choosing and don't compromise. Earlier you said that you wanted something for gaming and then later you didn't. Even if you will not be using them all the time for gaming for those few times you do you'll be glad that you choose a great all around headphone. Best of luck.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
Don't even worry about cable upgrades yet. No offense, but in my earlier post I said who made the A900's but you later said you had no idea who made them so you aren't reading all of our suggestions. Do more research.

Hehe, I might had neglected it. If you said audiocubes, it's because I generally read the links later, but no need to argue. I am not worrying, but I was told that if you do end up with 580's, that the headphone cable upgrade is almost a must because the difference is so huge, it's worth it.

Haha! I post quicker then you do or edit atleast. Do you want me to remove the quote as you just edited yours out of respect, or should I leave it? I am pretty sure I read most of your posts though.

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #37 of 44
So, is what my friend said about the audigy 2 x-fi pro really true? He said the breakout box is powered, and has an headphone port and the breakbout box acts as a amp which would cost $100-200, and sounds good. I can't tell if he's lieing out of his teeth or not, but I would like to know because i'm looking at a new soundcard which works under Linux, and that seems to be all done by creative labs.

Oh, and do people find a sound improvement with an amp and 595's? IF so, is it as big as with an 580, and what amps do they use? Gilmore / same stuff?

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #38 of 44
I picked up 595's, ran to $400 Canadian dollars after tax, very expensive, there is a 7 day return policy which I may take advantaeg of. I've been listening, and these things sound damn great, I love them, but I definitley need a new soundcard to take advantage of them, and maybe an amp, but i'm not so sure about that. I'm hoping somebody who can meet up with me in real life without travelling too much does have 580's or 595's they are selling, because I think I could save around $200 Canadian dollars by buying used ones, and spend that money on a soundcard, and maybe even buy an amp after because of the money that would had went to the soundcard if I kept these for $400.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

I picked up 595's, ran to $400 Canadian dollars after tax, very expensive, there is a 7 day return policy which I may take advantaeg of. I've been listening, and these things sound damn great, I love them, but I definitley need a new soundcard to take advantage of them, and maybe an amp, but i'm not so sure about that. I'm hoping somebody who can meet up with me in real life without travelling too much does have 580's or 595's they are selling, because I think I could save around $200 Canadian dollars by buying used ones, and spend that money on a soundcard, and maybe even buy an amp after because of the money that would had went to the soundcard if I kept these for $400.

Congrats on the nice set of cans (That did not sound too good) The 595s benefit a bit from an amp. No need to worry about that yet. Just enjoy the sound and the honeymoon.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Congrats on the nice set of cans (That did not sound too good) The 595s benefit a bit from an amp. No need to worry about that yet. Just enjoy the sound and the honeymoon.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out if the creative x-fi platnium breakout box really does act as an amp like I heard because it's powered (the guy I heard it from may be lieing though as he works at the computer store I buy my stuff from.) I am looking for a new soundcard because with this one, you must remove it every time you install the drivers (..lame..)

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out if the creative x-fi platnium breakout box really does act as an amp like I heard because it's powered (the guy I heard it from may be lieing though as he works at the computer store I buy my stuff from.) I am looking for a new soundcard because with this one, you must remove it every time you install the drivers (..lame..)

If you are looking for a Creative PCI card for music then look at their EMU line. Their 1212m is well liked on this board IIRC.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

If you are looking for a Creative PCI card for music then look at their EMU line. Their 1212m is well liked on this board IIRC.

What are prices and linux support like? Are they available in normal retail stores?

Is this it?
http://www.emu.com/products/product....Specifications

If so, it doesn't have 3 1/8" 3.5 mm ports like I need (I use logitech z-5500 speakers which use coaxail (for my dvds) and 3 3.5 mm 1/8" jacks for 5.1 in normal scenarios such as non dd or dts music (they are orange green and black jacks.)

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

What are prices and linux support like? Are they available in normal retail stores?

Is this it?
http://www.emu.com/products/product....Specifications

If so, it doesn't have 3 1/8" 3.5 mm ports like I need (I use logitech z-5500 speakers which use coaxail (for my dvds) and 3 3.5 mm 1/8" jacks for 5.1 in normal scenarios such as non dd or dts music (they are orange green and black jacks.)

The EMU line is their pro product line. Some models are available in certain retail stores. Maybe try M-Audio? Their Revolution 5.1 card is decent. Look here: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...on51-main.html Mac and PC only it looks like.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

The EMU line is their pro product line. Some models are available in certain retail stores. Maybe try M-Audio? Their Revolution 5.1 card is decent. Look here: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...on51-main.html Mac and PC only it looks like.

I have an m-audio revolution 7.1 I'm not buying another one of there cards, I am fed up with their drivers (everytime you reformat you have to pull the card out) to install the drivers, and they have no sound in Linux, and I'm really looking for something better, which I think may be the x-fi platnium.

The EMU looks awesome, but I can't see myself using coax for regular work, I want to use 1/8" 3.5mm (3) connection for my primary source of music :|.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back