What watch should I get?
Jun 4, 2005 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

1967cutlass

500+ Head-Fier
I really like the look of panerais, but I can't afford one. I COULD, however, buy a fake. For exampe

fake panerai

These are definately my favorite looking watches and I can get a nice looking fake for around $100.

But the question is, buy the panerai, made in China most likely, or buy a better quality and not as cool looking watch of European origin, possibly with a unitas/other good movement from here

My budget is around 200$ at this point.

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 18
My gripe about fake stuff is that the materials aren't always durable, and the actual item itself might not have been kept in flawless looking condition by the seller.

You could also try overstock.com for watches, but I'm not sure if they'll feature any brands that you're after.

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 18
Maybe it's just me, but I would never buy a fake version of something I truly like. Imagine driving a fake Aston Martin or a fake Ferrari... Ultimate lame.

I'd rather either save till getting the non-fake watch, or buy a good and affordable watch that I like. Well, but that's just me.

Jun 4, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 18
You might try one of the Vostok Europe watches: http://www.vostok-europe.us/

They seem to get rated as being excellent values for the money. IMHO, they have some very nice-looking watches available. If I had $200 to spend on a watch that'd be the brand I'd go with. They use Russian Vostok movements, improve them, and then case them.

Jun 4, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 18
actually, ime the movements in fake automatic watches -

1. rarely keep good time; i've experienced +- 3 HOURS per day!
2. rarely last more than 2.5 years
3. may be noisy.. yes, you'd be surprised, a noisy watch.
4. are definitely not shock-resistant
5. may have ridiculously low power reserves - i've experienced reserves of just 5 hours! that means you have to re-set your watch every morning!
eek.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Maybe it's just me, but I would never buy a fake version of something I truly like. Imagine driving a fake Aston Martin or a fake Ferrari... Ultimate lame.

I'd rather either save till getting the non-fake watch, or buy a good and affordable watch that I like. Well, but that's just me.

On the other hand:There are some very well build Shelby AC Cobras out on the roads. The original has just become irrelevant due to the scarcity and astronomic prices. If you see a replica AC Cobra, that is an AC Cobra IFAIC.
cool.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
On the other hand:There are some very well build Shelby AC Cobras out on the roads. The original has just become irrelevant due to the scarcity and astronomic prices. If you see a replica AC Cobra, that is an AC Cobra IFAIC.
cool.gif

faking a watch i can understand.. but faking an entire car?!
blink.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 18
In China they have LOADS of cars that are clearly "fakes" of cars we are used to. They are done by companies in China and are sold very for very cheap. They also have custom made cars there that are "fakes".
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 18
well i want someting that won't crap out on me... and i understand the real or nothing mindset as well. i'm going to see if i can get the trias unitas with a stainless steel band, if i can, i'll probably get one of those.

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #14 of 18
Browse through overstock.com. They have many superb watches at deep discounts. My brother bought this Seiko Chronograph (the plain steel one) for $105 shipped during their recent 10% off sale. It has the reliable 7T62 movement and a sapphire crystal. They even have a Movado for $200.

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #15 of 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back