What was the largest amount of computer information you deleted by accident?
Dec 11, 2011 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
I just erased 183 gigs by accident. Lucky I had 90% the files that I wanted to keep backed-up. Tell us your horror story and how it happened.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't think I've ever permanently deleted something from my computer that I didn't want to delete. Though I did accidentally overwrite a Final Fantasy VII save file with over 100 hours on it before. I cried like a baby.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 18
I had 300G of photos, music, videos and documents deleted when I dropped my portable harddrive, turning my laptop into the backup. Two days later, my friend burrowed my laptop and accidentally dropped it, losing everything on there. So in the end I got left with nothing and a combined ~800 gigs deleted.

I now double backup everything.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
I had 300G of photos, music, videos and documents deleted when I dropped my portable harddrive, turning my laptop into the backup. Two days later, my friend burrowed my laptop and accidentally dropped it, losing everything on there. So in the end I got left with nothing and a combined ~800 gigs deleted.

Wow! So sorry to hear that. Sounds like your now protected. My wifes boss once left her laptop on top of her car and drove off. She went back and it was run over multiple times. I was able to retrieve the information by somehow getting the thing to run in remote monitor mode and transfered the information. The screen was gone but the computer and drive still somehow lived even though being run over.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Only 50 GB for me, but a lot of documents in the lot. Very painful

Glass of tea, meet Laptop.

That aside, I also had to buy a new laptop.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 18
Yes, this is a great learning thread. I had an SD card marked INFORMATION and when attempting to format it formatted my 183 gig drive partition marked as DATA. It took less than half a second. The only thing I'm out is about 50 mp4 movies I made from DVDs to watch on an I-Pod, so I guess I didn't loose much.   

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 18
Couple hundred photos from my trip to Japan.  I was reformatting my HDD and these were the only pictures in the "My Pictures" folder.  I forgot about them.
frown.gif

There were my very first photos too (not counting the **** I took as a kid).

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 18
There's a difference between what I've accidentally deleted and what MS-Word deleted for me in a crash.  I've been pretty lucky on my own.  Word has taken out several pages of legal pleadings that had to be retyped, a few times it took an extra 4-5 hours.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 18
I had some really weird thing where I lost permission to all the video, music, and .doc files on my computer, even when I used the Administrator account to go in and edit the permissions.  It showed that I had access, yet wouldn't let me access them.  So I had to reformat both my internal and external hard drive.

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 18
I went to Japan last year for a month or so. On my second to last day in Japan, I accidentally formatted my SD card which contained almost 8gb of photo's taken throughout the entire trip. I was at a social gathering when it happened and had to carry on socializing like nothing had happened when I felt like all my memories of an awesome country had been deleted.

Luckily a quick Google revealed restoring deleted files is actually pretty easy and I managed to get them all back. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 18
Accidentally destroyed about a terabyte of data a couple years ago. All business files: A dozen years of clients' projects, business records, everything. It was because the fileserver glitched and died - but since I was responsible for making sure the fileserver doesn't do that sort of thing it was my bad.

The subsequent weekend and week were pretty unpleasant but I managed to recover all but a couple dozen files, out of about a half-million. Most of the permanently-lost files were recovered later becauase the bookkeeper is old-fashioned and liked printing duplicates of everything she mailed, so they were all in her filing cabinets.

I don't ever want to deal with something like that again.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 18
I deleted a movie once that took me hours to find seeds. Other then that no big problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back