What Was the First Concert You Ever Saw?
Nov 19, 2002 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
The title says it all. Also, where (and when) did you see your first show?

I saw mine in NYC in 1973 in the old Felt Forum (I guess what is now the Paramount Theater). Lou Reed was the headliner (in blond hair, during his "Sally Can't Dance" days); the opening act was Hall & Oates. How's that for a pairing?

Nov 19, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 92
That would be a jazz concert by the great Billy Taylor at Carleton College in Minnesota, May of 1987. He had his trio with him that night. Changed my life in untold ways, all for the better. Funny how music can have such a lasting impression and impact on you.

Nov 19, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 92
Black Sabbath and Humble Pie in Washington DC in 1970. Lost some hearing at that show. Black Sabbath had dozens of amps on stage; huge walls of them behind the band. Ozzy acted like a jerk throughout their set, and I ended up thinking that Humble Pie put on a better show than Sabbath. A few days ago I saw Ozzy on TV during a Barbara Walters interview of his wife. He seemed truly and permanently fried. He sure was heading that way at that concert.

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 92
I'm a bit of a n00b here...being into 70s bands and dead jazzers doesn't help either
wink.gif

my first concert was The Gathering, about three weeks ago in a tiny venue in Delft called Speakers. they totally pull it off live, very cool experience.

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 92
Dougli was the same as mine!

I saw Black Sabbath/Uriah Heep show sometime 1970-71 when I was still in high school. One of my classmates with an older brother who was hip brought in Black Sabbath I album, what a cool cover, I went right out and bought it. Saw them in concert a few month's later and thus began my path of decadence. Rock on dude!

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 92
My first live concert was a couple of days after Christmas in 1968. I was home for the holidays from my first yeaar in college and went to Seattle to see Led Zeppelin. I remember a friend got us tickets and we were in about the 5th row.

Nov 19, 2002 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 92
The Statler Brothers.

1977 or '78 at the Pine Bluff Convention Center. I was about 8 or 9. Lew was still singing with the group at the time.

(If anyone understands that last sentence, I might faint.)

Nov 19, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 92
Janice Joplin with Chicago as her opening act. 1971 I think it was (I was 14). Sacramento Memorial Auditorium.

Nov 19, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
The Statler Brothers.

1977 or '78 at the Pine Bluff Convention Center. I was about 8 or 9. Lew was still singing with the group at the time.

(If anyone understands that last sentence, I might faint.)

I saw the Statler Brothers as a little kid, about 5 or 6 years old. My uncle was a minister and used to take me and all my cousins to these gospel sings and I remember seeing the Statler Brothers several times. This was early to mid 60's. Lou DeWhit was their lead vocalist and he died in the late 80's of cancer of something.

Nov 19, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by mojoman
I saw the Statler Brothers as a little kid, about 5 or 6 years old. My uncle was a minister and used to take me and all my cousins to these gospel sings and I remember seeing the Statler Brothers several times. This was early to mid 60's. Lou DeWhit was their lead vocalist and he died in the late 80's of cancer of something.

eek.gif
*THUD*

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 92
Not too sure I want to admit this. My first concert was Belinda Carlisle waaay back in the late 80's (not very prog is it?) I was supposed to go and see a british band called Magnum but they cancelled. My brother had a spare ticket going cheap so I went to that instead. It was ok.

Cheers...

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 92
I have only been to one concert.

BTO!
They were playing at the fair grounds in Palmer(is this right?) Alaska on the 4th of July 1976. An all day afair with a bunch of local bands. By the time BTO came on I was too drunk/stoned to really hear them. I think I had a good time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back