What was the best Sony Discman made
Sep 22, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 31
I would not recommend PBD V30. There was a class action lawsuit against Sony / PBD V30. Very high rate of failure due to a faulty component. The best options for you are : 1. D 303 with headphone out, analogue line out and digital/optical line out. 2. D 465 / 475 with headphone out and line out + digital/optical line out from the same jack. Soundwise D 303 is better than D 465 / 475 versions if you plan to use these discmans as portable cd platforms as well and not just using them as a recording source. If on the scale of 1 to 10 D 303 is a 10, then I would rank D 465 / 475 a 7 or 8. The current miserable crop of portable cd players is below level 3. If you decide to get one of these 2 Sonys, you will have to recondition them, they are some 15 or 20 years old. Optical sled assembly should be cleaned of dirt/dust and of old drying lubricant and re-lubricated and should have the optical head/lens cleaned [ by a profesional ]. The motor might need a drop of the machine oil. Get the essential spare parts if you plan to have and use these discmans for years to come. 1. spindle motors [ most common problem ] - for D 303 the motor is Mabuchi RF-410. If you google it you will find a supplier, I saw it being sold for around 20 USD. Get 2 to be safe, the production will stop at some point. 2. SMD or Surface mount capacitors, there are a few of them in each of the discmans. In D 303 those that will need replacing - SMD capacitor Panasonic CXA1272 100 uf / 6.3 V in servo circuit plus SMD Panasonic capacitors 100 uf / 6.3 V in secondary power supply circuit.  ( this info. thanks to ' Kaosun ' / head-fi ). The best thing is to get all SMD capacitors as spares. 3. Laser unit assembly . 4. Sled motor 5. Motor unit assembly  or 6. the option of getting the whole combo Laser unit assembly+ Motor unit assembly together. Good option is to buy another discman of the same type for the spares. Going through all this will give you security of having a functioning discman for many years and the sound that at least from the line out is better than the sound from i-pod. If you decide to bid for a D 303 on ebay drop a post about it on this forum, i will give you advice/help. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #17 of 31
I have heard quite a few and the D-555 tops the list in terms of sound quality and features. Next in line for me...very close in line actually...would be the D-25s. I love the sound quality the D-25 puts out.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #18 of 31
I had a D-15 or D-25 when they came out. Someone broke it on me, and the replacement was terrible in comparision. Never found another PCDP that sounded as good. Where does the NE20 come in the SQ charts of old PCDP's?

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #19 of 31
My D-11 is coming in the mail today. Picked it up on ebay for about $40, including a case, charger, and car mounting plate (which I'll never use because my car has a really good CD player already). I'll post my impressions when it arrives.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #22 of 31
  love these machines but they probably wouldnt play my own recorded cdrs,or am i wrong anyone out there using cdrs with these early sony cd players?

For me the D-25 plays CDR's without a problem as does the D303 and other Sony's I have (too many but all working). 

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #23 of 31
Almost all of my vintage Sony PCDPs (D-5 thru D-EJ01) will play CDR's. Some of them will have difficulty reading CDR's, but that's because I probably need to have the laser focus adjusted or replaced and not because the PCDP simply won't read CDR's.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #24 of 31
I like the sound of the D303 the best. I also have the magnesium model, whatever that number is. It is so light if feels cheap but is just light. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #26 of 31
Sorry, the magnesium model is not the D 303 but the lightest portable CD Sony made, I just can't think of the designation for it. It took the special headphones that plugged into the remote, which I don't know why Sony had to use (the type of plug that no one else has ever used). 

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #28 of 31
  Sorry, the magnesium model is not the D 303 but the lightest portable CD Sony made, I just can't think of the designation for it. It took the special headphones that plugged into the remote, which I don't know why Sony had to use (the type of plug that no one else has ever used). 

Ok, I'm guessing maybe either one of the two in the pic below (not mines). D-EJ1000 (silver) or D-EJ2000 (black)

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #29 of 31

Ok, I'm guessing maybe either one of the two in the pic below (not mines). D-EJ1000 (silver) or D-EJ2000 (black)

I have those but no, I will have to go dig it out. Still have the original box and those took a normal 3.5mm TRS. They are light though, maybe lighter than the one I am thinking of. D777. 

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #30 of 31
Hola, estoy por adquirir un Sony D-303 muchos dicen que tiene mejor calidad y pureza de sonido que otros mas costosos.
lo recomiendan?.
Lo ofrecen a $90.00 que tal el precio?
esta casi completo y buenas condiciones.
Gracias. espero sus opiniones.

Atte. marpemel

Hi, I am about to purchase a Sony D-303 many say it has better quality and purity of sound than other more expensive ones. Recommend ?. They offer it at $ 90.00 what about the price? Is almost complete and good condition. Thank you. I wait for your opinions. Atte. Marpemel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back