What vol for Audigy 2 ZS?
Jul 17, 2004 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kuja

Head-Fier
I'm stuck with an Audigy 2 until I have the cash to upgrade, but in the meantime, I have an A2 ZS outputting via analogue to a Headroom TAH with ER-4S.

My problem is that it seems I'm barely using the amp, or perhaps even further screwing the quality by reducing the volume using the amp
blink.gif

If I set wave/master to 100%, the A2 in itself is sufficient to drive my Etys well beyond listening volumes, so with the amp connected, wave/master set to 100% and using the amp to adjust volume to an appropriate level, I'm actually reducing the volume with the amp controls.

As far as I'm aware you're meant to set wave/master to 100% to avoid loss of quality, but to let the card amp (?) the signal to beyond what I need then reduce it with the amp doesn't seem right at all
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

What should I do?
blink.gif

Btw I'm using kx drivers so I can adjust master, wave as well as the gain on the individual outputs.

Jul 17, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 4
You should set the Master and Wave volumes to 50% because all members of the Audigy family clip pretty badly above that. Also, be sure you're using software resampling to 48 KHz (if you're using Foobar2000 just enable the Resampler DSP and if you're using Winamp use the ASIO plugin configured for TOP resampling).

Jul 17, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Ah I forgot to mention that - with wave at 100%, clipping only occurs where master is greater than about 75%. The current setup is what you described - resample to 16/48 with winamp+ASIO & kX project drivers.

In any case, even with 50/50, the volume straight from the Audigy is still much louder than the volumes at which I listen via the amp, so the amp is doing ..... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back