What type of sound signature should I look for when I mainly play rhythm games?
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Reeses

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm pretty new to this, so i'm not sure if "sound signature" is the right term i'm looking for.

Anyways, I game a lot, but most of the games I play are rhythm games. The music I listen to because of this is a very wide variety. I'm talking EDM, house, vocals, rock, hip hop, etc. Out of all these I think I listen to EDM and hip hop the most.

When it comes time for me to purchase new headphones, should I look for something that is just overall balanced? I wanted to know more on the technical side about what type of sound I should be looking for.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 11
If you're shopping for a headphone that will be primarily used with this sort of game, then I would recommend something with somewhat of a V-shaped sound signature. That way, the beat will be accented just a bit, and any syncopated percussion (which tends to be of higher frequencies) will also be accented. You may think that a balanced signature might work for this, and it very well might, but for games where keeping track of rhythms is the most important aspect you would likely benefit more from a V-shaped sound signature. I don't think open backed cans would give you an edge, so don't get pressured into the "open backed headphones are almost always better" argument, even if it is pretty true for the most part. Closed backs tend to have tighter and punchier bass at the cost of "naturalness", which isn't even that bad of a tradeoff in your scenario.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 11
I don't know how much money you want to spend, but I would look for the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 variants.
The ebony is the most neutral of all variants, and you can change the sound signature by changing the ear pads (ZMF has some pretty nice ones).
Oh, and bass hits real hard too, they're Fostex closed headphones :)
Plus, they're very easy to amp, don't need a nuclear power central to get decent volume levels.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 11
I don't know how much money you want to spend, but I would look for the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 variants.
The ebony is the most neutral of all variants, and you can change the sound signature by changing the ear pads (ZMF has some pretty nice ones).
Oh, and bass hits real hard too, they're Fostex closed headphones :)
Plus, they're very easy to amp, don't need a nuclear power central to get decent volume levels.

So when you say TH-X00 "variants" do you mean buy this: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00/ ?

Or just headphones that's similar? I was actually looking into these and I see there is only 4 hours left on the drop. I was kind of the fence since I heard for overall gaming it's not good because of the limited soundstage.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 11
So when you say TH-X00 "variants" do you mean buy this: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00/ ?

Or just headphones that's similar? I was actually looking into these and I see there is only 4 hours left on the drop. I was kind of the fence since I heard for overall gaming it's not good because of the limited soundstage.
They're not good for competitive gaming or games in which you want to be immersed in a natural sound. Open backs are best for those sort of things. The top budget picks for gaming in general are the Fidelio X2 and the HD598. If you want a headphone for rhythm games AND other games, the X2 would be your best bet I think. Otherwise the TH-X00 are a very good pick with strong bass

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 11
Awesome thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll most likely get the TH-X00 then. I was mainly looking for something I could game with (mostly rhythm games, but I still hop in a FPS every now and then :p) and have an emphasis on bass.

Is there a difference between the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Audiophile, Ebony, and Purpleheart models other than color?

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Awesome thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll most likely get the TH-X00 then. I was mainly looking for something I could game with (mostly rhythm games, but I still hop in a FPS every now and then :p) and have an emphasis on bass.

Is there a difference between the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Audiophile, Ebony, and Purpleheart models other than color?
I've heard the wood cups change the sound slightly based on which wood type you pick. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I'd imagine the difference is minor and you'd be better off just choosing based on appearance

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 11

Yes, look at this:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/

8950332.jpg

Ebony is the most neutral sounding of the three.
Purpleheart has much more bass and treble, it's the most V shaped/"fun" of all variants.
Mahogany has less sub bass and more mid-treble compared to Ebony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back