What type of headphones do you recommend for a sound student?
Oct 31, 2008 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

LaserWolf

New Head-Fier
I know that's there's a ton of help requests on the forum already and I apologize for adding one more, but I have a somewhat unique situation. I am a sound design major in college and I am just starting to get into my majors classes and I am in need of a new, good quality pair of headphones. I would be using them for everything from post production audio mixing, to studio recording, to field recording, to foley and adr work, so i need a pair that would be both durable and versatile. if anyone could help me out with suggestions or help of any sort that would be great. Thank you in advance.
Matt.

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 56
$250-300 would probably be tops if necessary but If possible i would like to cap out at $200

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 56
AKG 271s. Closed phone. Detachable chord. Well balanced sound presentation. Non-fatiguing. Reasonably comfortable. There is a switch that turns off the sound to the phones when you remove them--nice studio feature. Get the velour ear cushions (or if the price is right get the MkII or the 272's--all basically the same cans). You can find them under 200 easily.
They work best amped for portable application. With regular equipment there should be no problem.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 56
Well... umm. Always MDR-7506/V6. Studio and field work right?

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 56
The Beyerdynamic DT250 would be great for this purpose. One of the flattest responses that I know of and very balanced/neutral sounding. If your willing to pay $200-$250, these would be much better than the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-V7506.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 56
I say take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT150. They have gotten some pretty good press around here lately (try the search function). They can be had for $192 from B&H Photo, so they are within your price range. I know I am enjoying mine very much.

Will you be using an amp, because these require one to work well.

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 56
Most of the equipment i'd be using would have built in amps,(digi modules and DAW's) but I would not be purchasing an extra amp

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 56
you want something neutral. I love the sound sig of the grados however like the previous poster says a closed phone is probably better and the dt-150 will be a great pickup.

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X3 for the DT150. It sounds like you need a studio monitor and these fit your purpose.

He is probably better off getting the DT250 (80 ohm version) since it is within his budget and the price difference is small. Marcus from Headphonic said the DT150 is bassier and more difficult to drive while the DT250 has a better midrange, better overall balance, and is easier to drive.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 56
I would also be doing field recording and monitoring

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would also be doing field recording and monitoring

The Beyerdynamic DT48 might be what you're looking for. Last I checked, the email price at B&H was $306. They're regularly used for those applications and studio work.

Closed and incredibly durable - I love the machined aluminum driver housings. Also, they're pretty damn good for jazz, classical and most acoustic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back