What tweaks are there for AKG K501?
Sep 17, 2003 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zemo

500+ Head-Fier
Anybody? I don't have them yet (tomarrow maybe? stupid ground shipping!) but I hear they might leave a little to be desired in the low end..anything I can do to help them along? Thanks!

Sep 17, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Perhaps an amp with a solid bottom end?

I had good results rolling op amps on my setup. OPA2132P seems to have good synergy with AKGs, but I am currently sticking to OPA637bp for the superior spacial presentation.

You can always try some cable rolling on these, perhaps giving them some speakers cables would improve the bass.

Sep 18, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 8
How much do these amps run, and where can I find them? Also what's that thing about cable rolling? Huh? Sorry, I'm just a newbie...I could use a little more description! thanks!

Sep 18, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 8
The best results I've ever achieved with the AKG K501 are with the Emmeline HR-2. This is Ray Samuel's Solid-state (no valves) headphone amplifier. It is a great amplifier that has nice synergy (both components compliment each other well) with the 501s (and other great 'phones). When J.Y. referred to the OPA2132P and OPA637bp, he was referring to various Op-Amps (an integrated circuit that uses external feedback to control its functions) that the HR-2 can use. These Op-amps can change the way an amplifier sounds. Think of it as swapping the tubes in a tube amplifier to modify it sound. By "cable-rolling,” J.Y. meant you can try various interconnects (cables that connect your source to the amplifier) to find which has the best synergy with your particular equipment. I understand that some of the terms used in this forum can be intimidating, but using the search function and Google to augment what you learn here will really help your research, and ultimately lead to your own audio nirvana (or drive you mad in the process).
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2003 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 8
So you mean I'd cut the cable on my cans, and wire in a new one? is there someplace where this procedure is described?

Also...you a fan of niel pert's work? you arn't the REAL niel pert....are you?

Sep 18, 2003 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 8
When I said: "By 'cable-rolling,' J.Y. meant you can try various interconnects (cables that connect your source to the amplifier) to find which has the best synergy with your particular equipment," I wasn't referring to your 501's cable. I was referring to the cable between your source and your amplifier.

The source is literally the source of your music, be it an analog source such as a turntable, or a digital source such as a compact disc player (or a computer sound card, etc.). Interconnects are cables that connect this source to the amplifier of your choice, which in your case is the HeadRoom Airhead (as I mentioned in my previous post, the Emmeline HR-2 has great synergy with your cans, AKA your headphones. However, since you are new to the Head-Fi forum, I cannot accurately gauge your audiophile experience). You claim to be a self-confessed newbie on college finances, so you may not be ready for the HR-2 in terms of budget and/or critical-listening development.

However, I see from your signature and profile that you have 2 sources: the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 and the Sound Blaster Audigy 2. Both of these are competent, but you'll no doubt learn of other options in both the soundcard and portable media device arenas. It looks like you already have a decent amplifier too, so you may want to stick with what you have and tweak small things within your current setup (since you are a college student with a limited budget, just as I was not too long ago).

What interconnects are you using between the Airhead and the Nomad? Have you tried other manufacturers? If you have only auditioned one IC (interconnect), then perhaps try a better-quality IC. Can you observe any difference between dirt-cheap interconnects and higher-quality interconnects? If you cannot discern any changes in sound, than you don't really need better cabling with your current configuration, though this may change as you upgrade your sources and amplifiers.

How are you encoding your music? I encode most of mine using EAC/Lame --alt-present extreme 256VBR. I encode my favorite albums using FLAC (a lossless codec), though I rarely pass a double-blind test using my current rig (LynxL22->Zu Pivot->HeadRoom Max->HD600).

Welcome to the never-ending journey of Head-Fi, where a man who spent $50K and announced victory has returned to fight another battle in the electrostatic realm. I know that last part won’t make sense today, but as you dwell here among us crazies you will learn of Nik’s journey (and countless others’ as well). There are many members here that are well-informed and willing to help, but the one member that has been the most helpful to me is Hirsch; he just seems to know everything and is always giving constructive suggestions and tips. I hope he isn’t offended by my shameless name-dropping, but he really is a valuable resource and he seems like a nice guy. Remember, the music is the most important part of anyone’s system.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 8
You didn't avoid my question about Niel Pert on PURPOSE.....did you? You arn't the famous Rush drummer...are you?

Anyways, I was lookin around, and I noticed that some 1' mini-minis for my source-amp hookup run upwards of $150!!! HOLY FREAKIN' COW, IT'S JUST A ONE FOOT CABLE!!!

My amp isn't comming with the standard cable, so I'm going out to *gasp* radioshack to pick one up...am I going to get banned from head-fi for doing this? PLEASE NO!!

Sep 19, 2003 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Zemo

Anyways, I was lookin around, and I noticed that some 1' mini-minis for my source-amp hookup run upwards of $150!!! HOLY FREAKIN' COW, IT'S JUST A ONE FOOT CABLE!!!

My amp isn't comming with the standard cable, so I'm going out to *gasp* radioshack to pick one up...am I going to get banned from head-fi for doing this? PLEASE NO!!

Check this out. It is much cheaper than most cables and is supposed to sound great. I am still waiting for my star quad and mini plugs. If you don't have a soldering iron and don't plan on getting one you could order some cable from JMT Audio . Hope this helps.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back