What tube amp = The Singlepower Extreme ?
Jul 22, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 16
The closest thing to the extreme that is currently available would be the woo audio 2.

Price is $1050, plus you have to get the black gate output caps (and power supply caps)  +$400
and i would definitely get the teflon sockets, +150

total price $1600.

The topology is identical to the extreme.  The power supply is WAY better.
With the black gate output caps, the sound is virtually identical. The overall
build quality is SUPERIOR.

Otherwise you would have to build one, and the black gate output caps which
really influence the sound, are now impossible to get.

If you are lucky, and handy with a drill and soldering iron, you might find a unit for sale
before it has been repaired cheap. Then buy the transformer, and other parts and have
at it...

Pretty much once people have had their units rebuilt, they will probably never show up
on the used market again.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 16
Last time I looked at the For Sale Forum, there was a Zana Deux going for $1,700. If you're interested, it's worth stretching an extra $200 for. Check out the Zana Deux owner thread and the tube rolling thread.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 16
Hey Josh you will like the Woo with Blackgates. I know I do with mine. PM me and I will let you know about a couple more Woo mods that he will actually do to it.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 16
I have the WA2 without the upgraded caps or sockets and find it very enjoyable.  If you want to save some cash go for the base model.  Tube rolling will have a greater effect on sound than caps or sockets and with the WA2  there are 3 different tube types to roll.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 16
supra's are a completely different circuit and sound very different.

unless it was the supra extreme balanced that sold recently, and that
was a fair amount more money.

And i disagree on the black gate output caps, they definitely make
a substantial difference in sound compared to the regular caps.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 16
One more question please ...  Many people on this forum have claimed the WA2 to sound very tubey, and not nearly as dynamic or extended as the WA6 ....   But I thought that extension and dynamics WAS the claim to fame for the Extreme ... Less tubey sounding, and more with the benefits of both good tube amps, and solid state ?

Can someone offer an opinion about this ?

Thanks

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 16
My guess would be whoever said that was comparing the WA2 to the WA6 using low impedance headphones. The WA6 is a better choice than the WA2 for low impedance cans, and the WA2 might sound tubby with some low impedance cans due to the OTL design having a high-ish output impedance.

My LCD-2 sound better on the WA6 than on my SP Extreme - but the T1 sound better on the Extreme.

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
My guess would be whoever said that was comparing the WA2 to the WA6 using low impedance headphones. The WA6 is a better choice than the WA2 for low impedance cans, and the WA2 might sound tubby with some low impedance cans due to the OTL design having a high-ish output impedance.

My LCD-2 sound better on the WA6 than on my SP Extreme - but the T1 sound better on the Extreme.

Ah ... That may be it then. You still using the Extreme then ?  Not afraid of it ? 

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm only using the Extreme because I had the transformer replaced with a much bigger ElectroPrint one, which was then actually wired correctly, and some other minor mods to make it safe were done.

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I'm only using the Extreme because I had the transformer replaced with a much bigger ElectroPrint one, which was then actually wired correctly, and some other minor mods to make it safe were done.

Ahh .... I knew from reading some of your posts, that you really like the SP Extreme. Although we all hear things differently, I have taken your recommendations on several occasions now, and have always been very satisfied. This is what has led me to now consider a tube amp, and with Mr. Gilmore talking like he did about the WA2 sounding so much like SP Extreme, I may be heading down the dark path to tube amps.  I have shied away in the past, because loving Metal and Hard Rock like I do, I have always valued the benefits of SS amps for those genres, but if I could get a tube amp that doesn't go too overly tubey sounding ...........

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 16
Double F, thanks for the article. It raises a good point - even the best parts won't help a mediocre or poor circuit. A good circuit, built with modest parts, will outperform a bad one with the best parts. That said, I'm inclined to believe what Dr. Gilmore said about them as output caps - that's one place where the quality of caps can really be heard. I've never used Blackgates. They're too expensive, too hard to find and I prefer transformers on the output, anyway. Caps usually degrade over time and instead of dropping $200 towards tweako ones, that goes a long way towards quality output transformers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back