What tools do I need to install a new cartridge?
Jul 28, 2010 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sniedsnied

New Head-Fier
I have this: A Project Debut III with no cartridge and a tracking force balancing scale thingy. What else do I need to install and align cartridge? Note that the above is literally all I have, so all equipment suggestions are welcome, including screwdriver recommendations.

I imagine I need an alignment chart/ record at least.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Other than what you have, the minimum would be an alignment chart/tool. All decent cartridges will come with the screws and equipment to mount them. That's it. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies. I'm steering clear of DIY alignment guides because I'm too cack-handed to produce and lay them on the turntable straight! So if anybody could recommend a good alignment guide to purchase I would like to hear it (not that I'm too lazy to find one, I'd just like to hear any personal recommendations).

What about azimuth? I'm always hearing about complex setups involving mirrors and such which is a bit off-putting.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 6
A great alignment tool, almost impossible to fudge, is the Mobile Fidelity Geo Disc.  I use it myself, and it works wonderfully.

Now Azimuth is more difficult...  What people say is that you should use a small flat mirror and make sure that the cartridge body and stylus reflection seems perfectly straight. 

You can always do it with test equipment, in fact there's a unit called the Fozgometer: http://www.needledoctor.com/Fosgate-Fozgometer-Azimuth-Meter

You can also do it by ear with a test record.

In my experience, the best result can only be found with test equipment or by ear, and sometimes the mirror method isn't as effective as one would like.  YMMV!

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 6
Another vote for the Geodisc.  Easy to use, and while I have other protractors, the Geodisc almost always gets things pretty much right in my experience (and I have done dozens and dozens of cartridge alignments).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back