What to upgrade to get more from my music?
May 14, 2019 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Burton773

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I've collected some gear over the past few years and I'm wondering how to get more from my music.

I listened to Final Fantasy's Distant World album and was absolutely moved by the big orchestra. I'd like to find out if there are any bottlenecks in my setup and the possible upgrades.

Source: All 16 bit FLAC Files.
DAC: Modi 2
AMP: Magni 2, Little Dot MK III (stock tubes) for my Sennheisers.
Cans: AKG 701, SRH 1440, HIFIMAN 400s, Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD800

I don't like how sound is presented in the AKGs for orchestra. The Shures are a bit bright. Hifimans are my all rounder for when I game/voicechat while listening to music (but music seems more compressed). When I have alone time to just listen to music, I run my HD650s with tubes (HD800 has been sent away for repairs). I love the presentation from the 650s and the sound of tubes. I am almost brought to tears when listening to the swell of music (especially in the track Zanarkand) and have become an addict to this feeling; how can I get more?

I think I'd like an upgrade to dynamic range (I don't mind manually adjusting volume) and perhaps realism but I'm not sure what else. I think I'm quite happy with the frequency response of the HD650s and the HD800s when I want a little more.

I've been considering another pair of headphones: looking at the Hifiman Ananda or Focal Elex for another perspective (less veil= natural flatter sound?), but is that the best choice? Should I start tube rolling my Little Dots? Is there another DAC I should be getting instead? I'd like to budget up to $800 dollars for this upgrade.

Thank you for reading and for your advice.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 9
Get a headphone amplifier with a balanced headphone jack and balanced cables for your headphones.
Then maybe get a DAC with dual DAC chips.

May 14, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 9
If it was just for the 650’s I would say Bottlehead Crack as they are just so good together but you would have to build it or find one built but have to say it is one of the best amps for a 650 and I have heard a few. Another for the 650’s is the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid not as good as the Crack but will do well with the others and is not bad with them definitely my second choice.

May 14, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 9
Raise the budget from 800 to 8g

May 14, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 9
What I would do:

1. Get Bottlehead Crack + speedball update for HD650 ~$400-450
2. Sell everything but the HD650 & Bottlehead Crack
3. Get good DAC for both Bottlehead crack and what I'm about to suggest... ~$300+
4. Get used STAX L300 Limited (because about 1/2 price of L700 for very similar sound) ~$650
5. Get used SRM 323-S or SRM-353X driver unit. ~$500
6. Spend less than 2$ and do pad seal mod on the L300 Limiteds.

Everything but the Bottlehead Crack should be covered by selling of everything but the HD650.

Enjoy intimate warm, smooth, relaxed sound from the HD650 and top tier precision, punch, detail, speed, spacious 3D sound field, and naturalness from the L300 Limiteds.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 9
A cheap test would be to start a 30 day trial of Qobuz and see how your system and your preferences react to higher res sources. It wouldn’t cost you anything and might give you insight into your current system and if anything should change.

May 14, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 9
What I would do:

1. Get Bottlehead Crack + speedball update for HD650 ~$400-450
2. Sell everything but the HD650 & Bottlehead Crack
3. Get good DAC for both Bottlehead crack and what I'm about to suggest... ~$300+
4. Get used STAX L300 Limited (because about 1/2 price of L700 for very similar sound) ~$650
5. Get used SRM 323-S or SRM-353X driver unit. ~$500
6. Spend less than 2$ and do pad seal mod on the L300 Limiteds.

Everything but the Bottlehead Crack should be covered by selling of everything but the HD650.

Enjoy intimate warm, smooth, relaxed sound from the HD650 and top tier precision, punch, detail, speed, spacious 3D sound field, and naturalness from the L300 Limiteds.

Haha, I was afraid that a "sell everything" option would appear. Thanks for your advice. Yeah I think I will try to get rid of some of my stuff and save for the rest and look into the Stax. Will try to upgrade to bottlecrack but my little dot is pretty new and just out of return window. Is the bottle crack that much better? Can I roll to get something similar? Also what good dac would you recommend?

May 14, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 9
If it was just for the 650’s I would say Bottlehead Crack as they are just so good together but you would have to build it or find one built but have to say it is one of the best amps for a 650 and I have heard a few. Another for the 650’s is the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid not as good as the Crack but will do well with the others and is not bad with them definitely my second choice.
Thanks, I've seen a lot of people recommending the bottlehead. My MKiiis are pretty new and just out of return window. I'm pretty new to tubes but I saw the guide so I'll look into rolling- or is the bottlecrack that much better that I should just get it? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back