What to Rip with?
Jul 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. It's a policy to show how better is AAC or ALAC which are DRM protected and sold via iTunes shop. My friend tested iPoo Classic wav vs. mp3 320kb/s and the latter sounded significantly worse than the wav but on the other (better) player the difference was marginal. Let's get it straight - Apple tries to make fool of us with the mp3 quality lowering it wherever possible.

I will have to arrest you on some points here.
* Neither AAC or ALAC is DRM protected in general (just regular audio codecs).
* Apple only sell AAC encoded audio files in iTunes Store, not ALAC (Apple Lossless) ones.
* Apple sell DRM free AAC files in iTunes Store.

But correctly, Apple still sell some DRM protected AAC files in iTunes Store.
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry... but what are you on about?

1. Unless something has changed recently, LAME is superior, Fraunhofer is outdated.

LOL!
biggrin.gif
What do you mean outdated? I'm just curious how many years it will take for the LAME to obtain the same quality and speed level of the FhG encoder. Rip your CD's to 320kb/s LAME, 320kb/s FhG, compare or ABX them with the original and tell me what you hear.
smily_headphones1.gif
Measure the encoding times as well.
Quote:

2. While I agree that dbpoweramp is a good program, EAC is a better (unless dbpoweramp has advanced since I last used it, even then, it would only stand on equal footing) and free alternative for ripping cd's

Better in what field? EAC has got the same features as the dBP Ref. (ultra-secure ripping, C1/C2 errors correction) and crappy interface. You will never have professional mp2 or mp3 by FhG encoders on the EAC either.
Quote:

3. This is a plain and obvious conspiracy theory

Conspiracy is when something is hidden, I revealed my thoughts, obviously exaggerrating, but the intentional inferior mp3 playback is a fact.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

LOL!
biggrin.gif
What do you mean outdated? I'm just curious how many years it will take for the LAME to obtain the same quality and speed level of the FhG encoder. Rip your CD's to 320kb/s LAME, 320kb/s FhG, compare or ABX them with the original and tell me what you hear.
smily_headphones1.gif
Measure the encoding times as well.

I'd advise not laughing at someone unless you are quite certain about your statements. LAME is the default encoder in dBpoweramp, since it offers better quality, but they do have options for Fraunhofer IIS and Helix, in case someone wants to use them.
I'll try to find an ABX someone else has done since I don't see the point of wasting my time. Also, I hardly care if it takes me a few seconds more to encode something, if it gives me better quality.

Honestly, you're the first person I've come across in years that is using FhG.

Quote:

Better in what field? EAC has got the same features as the dBP Ref. (ultra-secure ripping, C1/C2 errors correction) and crappy interface. You will never have professional mp2 or mp3 by FhG encoders on the EAC either.

One of the important features of EAC is the ability to flush the cache on drives that cache data, I'm not sure if dbpoweramp does this. If it does, then it is up to you to decide if a prettier interface is worth the money. (From a quick look at their site, I assume it does have a feature to overcome the cache).

Quote:

Conspiracy is when something is hidden, I revealed my thoughts, obviously exaggerrating, but the intentional inferior mp3 playback is a fact.

rolleyes.gif

I would be nicer, but I already was the first time.
And before posting this, I've spent a while trying to find that ABX, but can't seem to find one. I guess no-one see's the point.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. Why does iTunes appear to lower the volume on ripped MP3's?

LAME does this too. It's a necessary evil to avoid clipping. Different encoders may have a different idea of how much volume to eat in the name of this.

iTunes also computes peak level (and other ReplayGain levels) on tracks it rips, and may use this on playback for the same reason. I'm not really sure on that one.

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #21 of 21
I love Freerip. My CDs are usually pristine because: I never use them except when they were ripped, and I am generally a careful person. I am currently ripping them to FLAC using this program. I previously had my collection in high bitrate WMA, but decided to just do FLAC, though I am not sure I can tell any audible difference. I was previously an exclusively Exact Audio Copy (EAC) user, but it is too damned slow, clunky, unstable.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/images/dmc/fastest.gif

Freerip Pros:
-free
-fast
-easy to use, easy to edit tags pre-rip
-supports all major codecs especially FLAC

Freerip Cons:
-not secure

For scratched CDs, I still use Exact Audio Copy, but 99% of my CDs are perfect, there just isn't any point to putting up with EAC. When you have to burn 500 CDs, a speedy ripper is very important. I have read good things about dbpoweramp - which is not free, but is secure and fast. I am just cheap, and already happy with Freerip, so haven't tried dbpoweramp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back