what to purchase
Jan 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

rheiber

New Head-Fier
Budget of 250$ for headphones. I listen to classical music 95% of the time...so that's all I'm worried about the sound for. Will be using these on my computer for which I just purchased a new sound card. The Creative Sound Blaster Z with a 600 ohm amp. From looking around here you guys are extremely helpful and I'm sure you can help me find what I'm looking for.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 26
I've been looking at the HD-598s. And have heard good things about the ATH-AD900. My only reservation is spending so much on something with only a 1 or 2 year warranty. If Koss had any good headphones for my needs I would go with them ( I live in Milwaukee ). Can you guys give me an idea of how long the headphones should last?

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
I've been looking at the HD-598s. And have heard good things about the ATH-AD900. My only reservation is spending so much on something with only a 1 or 2 year warranty. If Koss had any good headphones for my needs I would go with them ( I live in Milwaukee ). Can you guys give me an idea of how long the headphones should last?

Headphones can last years if used properly.
Even a $60 Sennheiser PX200 headphone I purchased lasted 7 years.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

i had the koss tbse1 for a while, its decent. i think you can probably get something better for your budget though. guys, i never own the shure srh940 but how do you think the headphone is for the op? i have heard good things about it though never tried it myself

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 26
Paying a lot for sound is addicting. Wow. I never pictured myself spending so much on headphones. Now are the AKG-Q701s or SRH940 going to be significantly better because the base price is higher and the price dropped? Or is that just a matter of quality.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 26
I'm aiming for my HE-500 to last at least 10 years 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Paying a lot for sound is addicting. Wow. I never pictured myself spending so much on headphones. Now are the AKG-Q701s or SRH940 going to be significantly better because the base price is higher and the price dropped? Or is that just a matter of quality.

I guess not, depend on what you compare to. Bear in mind that the q701 need amping a lot, whihc the other phones does not as much

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 26
Wanted to know. The Sound Blaster Z has a headphone amp. 33 to 600 ohms. And now I'm reading about this 1/8th rule regarding amps to headphones... Will the 598 experience any problems?

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 26
Depends on the output impedance of the card

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
I think the 33 to 600 is the output impedance...I'm new to sound technical stuff. Couldn't find anything specifically saying output impedance.

No, that's not it. Although it likely is around 30 Ohms.

Soundcard manufacturers don't like to publish their specs for output impedance for some reason. They're usually not that great, the STX has the lowest I've seen at 10 Ohms. Titanium HD is about 35. It might be safe to say that the Z is 35 or less but I can't seem to find measurements anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back