What to pair with Schiit Magni 2?
May 15, 2015 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

HiddenFatKid

Head-Fier
Hey Guys!  
I'm set on getting the Schiit Modi/Magni 2 stack, and I'm looking for some advice on what open-back headphones to pair with them! I want a pair of closed back (Mad Dogs) and open back headphones for this setup. I've been looking at the DT 990 250 ohm cans and was wondering if they pair well with the stack? or any other recommendations? Any help is appreciated! 

May 15, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm sure just about any headphones you get will work well with a stack of Schiit.
What audio will you be listening to, with the headphones?
If your getting the Mad Dogs, why even buy other headphones?

May 15, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 16
  I want to get a good pair of both closed and open backed cans. I listen to mostly rock and hip hop/rap

I'm guessing the Mad Dogs will be what you use for everything?
So why get open headphones?
Do you need to be able to hear other people?
Is it for FPS gaming?
If you just need open headphones, buy some used Sennheiser HD558 ($90?).

Ok, how about some used (but mint condition) AKG K7XX, $200?

May 15, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 16
  It really depends on what kind of music I'm listening to, what games I'm playing, and so on. Would the k7xx pair well with the stack?

The K7XX should do just fine with a Modi/Magni.
The K7XX has better mids then the DT990

May 15, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 16
Thats the wrong order. You dont chose a dac/amp combo, and then look which headphone fits them. You find YOUR headphone, that suits YOU well. And then you get an dac/amp, that can drive them.

In my opinion: A 140€ DT 990 is NOT a good call for a 99$ + 99$ combo. 70-90% of the Soundquality comes from the headphones, and the dac/amp should not cost you more than your headphone.
That means, your Source (dac/amp) should cost about 30-70% of your Headphone price.

Even, if your budget is 400-450 bucks, then an 350-400€~ headphone (for example Beyerdynamic T90) on a 80€ Fiio E10 will perform better, than an 200-250€ DT 880/akg k7xx on the modi/magni combo. I guarantee it.

Alltogether, that will be 350 bucks, for 150bucks "soundquality". A Fiio E10 would fit MUCH better to the dt 990 Pro, because the cost-ratio from source to headphone is much better. And tbh, i doubt you will hear any difference there, except from the smallest nuance you could imagine. And even if... That difference will not be worth 120 bucks difference.

Another example: Dont buy overpriced dac/amp, get an Fiio E10k. That means, you are 100 bucks cheaper --> you can spend 100 bucks more for a better headphone. For example, upgrade the dt 990 to an Phillips fidelio X2. Brings you much much more, since the headphones are more important.

Some personal experience, to backup my argument: I used to have a pair of DT 880 edition with 600 Ohm, and got a Yulong u100 (should be comparable to the modi/magni combi~), while using my Asus Xonar DX (which is a simple 60€ soundcard without an headphone amp).
Tbh, i have heared almost ZERO difference at all. At best, there was like 1% difference in soundquality, if i was looking for it.
Believe me, the headphone is (in most cases. There are some headphones, that are known to need a lot of power. A Beyerdynamic is Not one of those, neither the Phillips Fidelios) MUCH more important for the soundquality, than a DAC or Amp.

Which means: If you pay 200 dollar for dac/amp, your headphone "should" cost at least 250-350 dollar.

As for the AKG K701: Great headphones, but they have a bit less subbass to be neutral (they are MISSING slightly bass at the botton to be neutral). But the resolution, clarity and soundstage are indeed superb.
Alternative: AKG K702 (check prices. Its the same with removeable cable), or AKG Q701 (the same, with just slightly more bass = not so "Boring").
Another one: Beyerdynamic DT 880. I have compared the dt 880 600 ohm with the akg k701, they sounded almost the same. Extremely similar. The AKG K701 had sliiiiiiiiiightly more resolution/soundstage, the DT 880 hat sliiightly more kickbass, which made him the better allrounder for me. Also, the materials are more tough/resilent.

Phillips Fidelio X2 is, in my opinion, pretty much a beyerdynamic DT 880 with a good bunch more bass (but still well controlled and punchy), that is NOT affecting mids/highs in a negative way. A lot basshead headphones have that problem, that they sound dull because of the bass. Didnt had the feeling here.
So, if you are not looking for a very neutral/balanced headphone, and want more fun, the Fidelio X2 would be my #1 choice there. Put the rest of your budget into an dac/amp, like the Fiio E10k, and be happy :wink:

May 15, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for the input! I plan to get the stack as I do plan to get better and more powerful headphones in the future. The DT 990 was just a place filler, as I haven't really done much research into open backed cans. The K7xx that PurpleAngel listed above seems like a good choice! The only reason (which I should have mentioned above) that I'm getting the stack is that a close friend is selling both to me for $100, in order to get Audeze LCD-2's. I'm solid on the Mad Dogs, and I definitely do need to look into open backed cans more, the Fidelio look impressive! 

May 16, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 16
Nothing wrong with spending $200 on the Modi/Magni if you are getting into the hobby and see yourself buying other headphones in years to come. It will do well with all but the most difficult to drive headphones, so you'll be all set. And if your friend is selling you both together for $100? You should jump on it fast before he changes his mind :)

May 16, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 16
One other suggestion. Since you will have some good closed backs that you can use for hip hop, you might look into a pair of Grados. Not great for hip hop, but many people find them awesome for rock. And you can go with the cheaper Grado SR80e. The primary difference between it and the higher model SR225s is the pads, which you can change out and will take you 80 to 90% of the way to the SR225 sound.

May 16, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 16
  Those do look really sexy! How's your experience with them?

So far the K7XX does well with everything, currently using them to listen to Moby.

May 18, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #14 of 16
100 bucks for a K701/702 from a friend? If you like the sound, do it. Its a reallly good deal for that price.

Tip: Since they have a bit too less bass to be neutral, i imagine those Soundings go really well with Tube amps.
So, you might think about the Vali, instead magni 2. ^^

May 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 16
100 bucks for a K701/702 from a friend? If you like the sound, do it. Its a reallly good deal for that price.

Yeah. That would be a sweet deal. He's getting the Modi/Magni 2 for $100. Equally sweet deal :)

The only reason (which I should have mentioned above) that I'm getting the stack is that a close friend is selling both to me for $100, in order to get Audeze LCD-2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back