What to pair with a cMoyBB?
May 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Duckies

New Head-Fier
I'm just getting into this whole gig, and I've settled on a couple of things for my work (software engineer) setup:

$150-160 total
cMoyBB

...But what to pair with them? I've been looking around and I think the question is between Grado S80's and Klipsch S4 Reference. If you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them - let me list some of the artists I listen to on a frequent basis at work:

The Gaslight Anthem
Robert Johnson
The Black Keys
Tiesto
Johnny Lang
(Early) Red Hot Chili Peppers
Metroid Metal
etc.

Blues, melodic punk, and driving techo will all be in regular play, as will ska, 90's alternative and orchestral soundtracks (Final Fantasy vocal albums are fantastic).

What would you all recommend? 

Duckies

May 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 11
My first "serious" portable rig was a Sansa player > cCMoy (non-BB) > Grado 60's.
This was about 8 years ago now.
I thought I had the best sounding rig there could be.......... until I found Head-Fi.
*LOL*
I'd vote for the Grado's.

May 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 11
The issue with the Grado's is that they are an open headphone design, which that both outside sound (which I'm assuming you're trying to block to be able to concentrate while coding--I'm a developer too) gets in, and your music leaks out to those trying to work around you.  For those reasons, I'd suggest you look at something closed.  Here's a good starting point with some options: http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/.  Personally, I went with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II's, and I love them.  I'm not sure how well they'd do with orchestral, but they are good with the other genres you mention, in addition to general rock, hard rock, metal, pop.  They isolate very well (so very little sound leakage in and out), they are light and comfortable (though they do clamp somewhat hard), very durable, etc.  One developer to another, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.  I use mine at work quite often.

May 10, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
The issue with the Grado's is that they are an open headphone design, which that both outside sound (which I'm assuming you're trying to block to be able to concentrate while coding--I'm a developer too) gets in, and your music leaks out to those trying to work around you.  For those reasons, I'd suggest you look at something closed.  Here's a good starting point with some options: http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/.  Personally, I went with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II's, and I love them.  I'm not sure how well they'd do with orchestral, but they are good with the other genres you mention, in addition to general rock, hard rock, metal, pop.  They isolate very well (so very little sound leakage in and out), they are light and comfortable (though they do clamp somewhat hard), very durable, etc.  One developer to another, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.  I use mine at work quite often.

Great advice here. You'll want to go for a closed style headphone, or risk bothering your coworkers.

May 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 11
I was going to recommend IEMs, but since you've already bought an amp, +1 to the comment above, closed cans will be good. 
You can also take a look at Audio Technica or AKG for closed headphones, if they fit in your budget.

May 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I'm going with the Audio Technica ATH-M50S on your recommendation - thanks, mate! That site really helped me find something both durable AND phenomenal in audio quality.

Duckies

May 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I'm going with the Audio Technica ATH-M50S on your recommendation - thanks, mate! That site really helped me find something both durable AND phenomenal in audio quality.

Duckies

Great stuff, I hope you are very happy with your purchase! 

May 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 11
There's open, and then there's "oh my God, turn that thing down!" It's astounding how loud Grados are for others in the room NOT wearing them.

I'm very partial to my Audio Technica ATH-M50!

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 11
I listen to losssless film scores all day using an IPOD classic 160 and AKG 450's through a Cmoy. I really like the sound, especially the bass, which is necessary for film scores. I'm playing around with the EQ as I've only had them for about a week. I also have the ATH ES7s and MEE HT21s. I think the 450s do an overall better job of reproducing the scores range. I really like the mids of the HT21s especially for acoustic stuff and the price is great. The ES7s have a recessed mid range to me so I'm selling them.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 11

They came in on Monday, what a great way to start the work week. These have been fantastic! I can't say thank you enough for the help selecting these.

One problem, though. Now that I listen to these all day, when I go home and play music or movies on my desktop, the Logitech speakers I have sound so terrible I have to turn them off. Sigh. Guess I'll start looking for a good set of speakers for home, too. 

Suggestions? Haha.

Thank you all again,
Duckies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back