What to get for a first pair of decent headphones?
Jun 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BasketCase

New Head-Fier
Hi there. I've been using apple earphones for years and I'm sick of the quality. I've been saving up and want to invest in a pair of decent headphones, but I have no idea what to look for really.

What I do know I'm looking for:
- Closed headphones. I tend to listen to music a lot when I'm out, so closed is sorta the way to go. 
- Something between $100 to $200. (That's Australian dollars, though the way the exchange rate is that isn't much off the same in USD.) There's no point going more expensive given my lack of knowledge/experience with good headphones.
- Something that hasn't got overpowering bass. I'm a teenager so I've listened to all the silly bass heavy headphones in stores and I can't stand them. I listen to rock music...all kinds. Mostly of the "pop-punk"/"alternative" genre, though I listen to enough classic rock too.
- Over-ear. My ears are kinda big and I find most on-ear headphones that I've tried really hurt. I listen to music a lot so I'd like something that I can actually wear for a long period of time.
- If possible, something that'll fold up nicely.
- And...however unlikely...something with an inline remote that might actually work with my phone (nokia lumia)

All the stores near me only tend to have quite bass heavy headphones, so the only ones I've really had a listen to are the skullcandy aviators (which aren't actually all that bad given the brand). Plus, they happen to be on sale at the moment (normally $250 here, down to $180).

The ones I'm really leaning towards are Sennheiser HD429s. They mostly work with my phone (according to their website at least) and seem to have a good sound, and are $140 (which seems pretty darn good). Only problem is them not being able to fold down. I'm going overseas in a few weeks and I'm tempted to get a pair before then. Though, if I can't fold them up nicely, I'd be paranoid something'd happen to them.

This http://www.jbhifi.com.au/portable/mp3-players/head-phones/street-stereo-head-phones/ is the easiest place for me to get things from, but their range isn't fantastic.

I haven't honestly done much more research. Any advice would be great. I don't know a thing about headphones but I'd love to learn. I love music and actually want to start listening to my favourite stuff through some decent headphones.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 20
I was going to recommend the Shure SRH440/840 but then i saw you need an inline remote. I know few decent headphones with that, and they are over your price range. 

I know the momentum would be perfect. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:
I was going to recommend the Shure SRH440/840 but then i saw you need an inline remote. I know few decent headphones with that, and they are over your price range. 

I know the momentum would be perfect. 

I don't need an inline remote but it's preferable. Just looked up the Shure ones...they look awesome! Though a little hard to find in Australia (and amazon never seems to ship any headphones outside of the US!). I could try them when I go overseas perhaps....

Thanks :) I hadn't seen many Shure ones around so never really looked at them.

Anyone else?

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Oh...they're nice. Thanks! Do you have any experience with them? I just found them online for AUD$180....they seem to tick all my boxes (except the inline remote thing...but I can probably live without it). There aren't many places around I can actually give them a try though. They look amazing :O

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 20
Just look up reviews on Youtube, they are highly ranked and recommended. They are usually ranked either #1 or #2 on this site because they have really great sound for their price. I have a pair and they live up to their reputation.  They also have a more fun sounding signature than the Shure 840 which is colder and more analytical. 

There is also a removable cable mod for it that lets you use custom removable cable with inline mic, search for it on this site. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
Just look up reviews on Youtube, they are highly ranked and recommended. They are usually ranked either #1 or #2 on this site because they have really great sound for their price. I have a pair and they live up to their reputation.  They also have a more fun sounding signature than the Shure 840 which is colder and more analytical. 

There is also a removable cable mod for it that lets you use custom removable cable with inline mic, search for it on this site. 

Wow thanks so much! That's really helpful. I'm definitely going to look into these. Thank you!

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 20
The ATH-M50 are a solid headphone. However, people here are buying them generally for around $125 or less. Since you would be paying $180 for them, I would wonder if there might not be something better available to you at that price?

Have you looked at the recommended headphones in the buying guide: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide.

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
The ATH-M50 are a solid headphone. However, people here are buying them generally for around $125 or less. Since you would be paying $180 for them, I would wonder if there might not be something better available to you at that price?

Have you looked at the recommended headphones in the buying guide: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide.

Thanks i'll take a look :)

Most electronics are a lot more expensive here. The Australian Audio Technica site has the m50s for $219 in fact. I doubt i'll end up getting them for much less than $180. Even if I get them overseas there's always shipping and warranty issues.

I am going to Asia in a few weeks so I might find stuff there cheaper...kinda leaning towards that, though the price probably won't be much better.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 20
Agree with cel4145. In fact if you're in the big cities (Tokyo, Osaka), you can head down to Yodobashi (www.yodobashi.com) with your own play. They normally have a huge range of headphones for you to try out. A couple of years ago, you could try out most of the high end ones. On my recent trip, it seems that they now lock up the more expensive ones. However, you can ask for assistance and they will have someone unlock the glass cabinet (drool!) and let you try them out. However the assistant is standing there next to you and I guess you can't keep them standing too long so not so enjoyable.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 20
Not going to Japan I'm afraid. That sounds like fun though XD  I'm going to Singapore and I know some good electronics/audio places there...some of the smaller ones do good prices on other tech so hopefully the same goes for headphones. And everything is SO much more available there than Australia.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 20
Try googling for that with head-fi as a parameter and you'll find some recommendations: https://www.google.com/search?q=best+headphone+store+singapore+head-fi

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
Try googling for that with head-fi as a parameter and you'll find some recommendations: https://www.google.com/search?q=best+headphone+store+singapore+head-fi

I've been doing that all last night and this morning :D I've been searching head-fi looking for more recommendations and all that. Tis good fun. Thanks for the advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back