What to get as entry level amp for iPod and laptop?
Jan 6, 2009 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ExZeRoEx

New Head-Fier
I was wondering what kind of entry level amp I should get that would work well with a laptop that I use at home. I was looking at the PA2V2 because it has power input which would be very helpful because I wouldn't have to worry about batteries while at home.

Just wondering if there were any other options that would probably better.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 11
I hear the PA2V2 is very nice. I have a Biosciencegeek Cmoy, which can be bought on ebay for $50. It doesn't come with a wall power cord, but you can buy one at Radioshack for about $10.

It's got great performance and I think it is worth every penny.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 11
I've also got a BSG CMOY amp that I use with my Classic and really like. Since you are also looking at using this with your laptop, depending on your budget you might want to consider something with a USB interface and a built in DAC - something like the Total Bithead.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 11
I have a PA2v2 and I couldn't be happier with it as a portable amp.

I haven't tried them out yet, and I intend to, but the Fiio E3 and E5 have have been getting rather good reviews here too, and they certainly aren't bank/wallet breakers.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 11
I would still consider the pa2v2 if you didn't order the cmoy yet. I have one and it's great.

PS. about the PA2V2, the batteries on that thing last forever. Spend $5 on two rechargables and you'll only have to charge that amp like once a month (his site says it should run up to 100hr on one charge).

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 11
if you going to use it for a laptop, consider a amp with a DAC and a AMP together.

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 11
The only one with DAC that I've seen that is priced at a probable point for me is the Bithead, although it is a bit high. Are there any other DAC+amps? Maybe even just a standalone DAC, not sure about this stuff.

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 11
You could take a look at the NuForce Icon Mobile. It can be found for $99 new through the nuforce store on amazon.com. It's got a pretty decent dac and amp. I found that it worked really well with my westone 3.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 11
also, the total bithead really isnt bad....its a decent amp and dac for the money. Lots of people started with that =)

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 11
If you don't need a portable amp right away, I'll suggest you work with whatever home audio devices you may have at hand. Recievers, integrated amps, even cassette decks can work as an amp between your laptop and headphones. Size and heat are the main disadvantages, but you'd have the option of using speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back