What to expect from a £30 price difference?
post-7635447
Post #1 of 2

greendream

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
In my quest for some good portable closed back headphones I found two intriguing Audio-Technica models... There's the ATH-FC700 (~£50) and the ATH-ES55BK (~£80).

Now both are closed, and both are well reviewed (although, interestingly, it's harder to find the ES55 for sale?), so now I am unsure of which is going to serve me best. The question, though, is for the extra £30 can I expect £30 worth of improvement? Or just difference?

And this doesn't specifically apply to the 2 sets outlined here, I wonder, in general, if the extra price of a more expensive headset (ignoring the ones where half the money pays for the designers, e.g. skullcandy, wesc) is proportional to the improved sound?

So to sum it up super-succinctly; in the headphone market, do you REALLY get what you pay for?

post-7635500
Post #2 of 2

LegendaryLvl1

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

Quote:
In my quest for some good portable closed back headphones I found two intriguing Audio-Technica models... There's the ATH-FC700 (~£50) and the ATH-ES55BK (~£80).

Now both are closed, and both are well reviewed (although, interestingly, it's harder to find the ES55 for sale?), so now I am unsure of which is going to serve me best. The question, though, is for the extra £30 can I expect £30 worth of improvement? Or just difference?

And this doesn't specifically apply to the 2 sets outlined here, I wonder, in general, if the extra price of a more expensive headset (ignoring the ones where half the money pays for the designers, e.g. skullcandy, wesc) is proportional to the improved sound?

So to sum it up super-succinctly; in the headphone market, do you REALLY get what you pay for?

though, is for the extra £30 can I expect £30 worth of improvement?
This is definitely subjective. 
A 30 pound difference in price will usually mean a different approach the IEM takes (as opposed to the other IEM).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)