1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What to expect from a £30 price difference?

1. greendream
    In my quest for some good portable closed back headphones I found two intriguing Audio-Technica models... There's the ATH-FC700 (~£50) and the ATH-ES55BK (~£80).

Now both are closed, and both are well reviewed (although, interestingly, it's harder to find the ES55 for sale?), so now I am unsure of which is going to serve me best. The question, though, is for the extra £30 can I expect £30 worth of improvement? Or just difference?

And this doesn't specifically apply to the 2 sets outlined here, I wonder, in general, if the extra price of a more expensive headset (ignoring the ones where half the money pays for the designers, e.g. skullcandy, wesc) is proportional to the improved sound?

So to sum it up super-succinctly; in the headphone market, do you REALLY get what you pay for?

2. LegendaryLvl1

Quote:
     though, is for the extra £30 can I expect £30 worth of improvement?
    This is definitely subjective. 
    A 30 pound difference in price will usually mean a different approach the IEM takes (as opposed to the other IEM).