What to do in San Diego?
Nov 18, 2008 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, long time no see! I took a bit of a Head-Fi break this year after picking up autocrossing and heading out to Mojave, CA for a rocket internship. Anyway, I hope to be back more often and actually post up like I used to, but for now, got a quick question. I'm going to be down in San Diego this weekend, so do any of you have any suggestions for interesting things to do (audio/motorsport/martial arts related are pluses) or good places to go eat (I'll eat just about anything)?

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 17
A few things to hit:

Phils BBQ - 3750 Sports Arena Blvd, San Diego, CA 92110
Then go to Stereo Unlimited - 3191 Sports Arena Blvd, San Diego, CA 92110
Then Kobey's Swapmeet is right there too. I found a Marantz 2270 receiver there once for $20 and more vinyl deals than I can say.

These are the three things I would do if I were to move away and then come back for a weekend.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ucsd

nothing to do here... unless you'd want to walk and look around

TS, can't really give you much advice on what to do in SD... Phil's bbq is pretty good though like juniperlater suggested

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 17
Tijuana isn't very far away. I've had a few memorable nights there.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 17
I don't know much about San Diego, but when I was small, I would always let my Dad describe the zoo for me (which I have never seen, but which is supposed to be quite famous) after one of his many business trips, so maybe the zoo would be worth visiting.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by feNcheL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know much about San Diego, but when I was small, I would always let my Dad describe the zoo for me (which I have never seen, but which is supposed to be quite famous) after one of his many business trips, so maybe the zoo would be worth visiting.

the san diego zoo is no longer famous, after the talking parrot died of old age.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the san diego zoo is no longer famous, after the talking parrot died of old age.

Oh. Shame. But the Monterey Bay Aquarium does still exist, doesn't it? That one I actually visited a few times..

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 17
The zoo is still great. I was just there. But, to me, zoos are zoos. The things that make a town unique are the dives and the people and the record stores. If you want a great place to grab a beer and possibly some good tunes, go to the Casbah - casbahmusic.com.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for the replies guys. So far, it looks like Phil's BBQ, Stereo Unlimited, and the Zoo are definitely in our plans. The other intern here is also an audio/videophile, and he was also interested in that. The record stores would be a good choice, if I actually had an LP setup, but the budget/space isn't there for that at the moment sadly.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 17
Seek out Pizzeria Luigi on the corner of 25th & B street if you're into good italian food, especially pizza. The best I've had anywhere.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 17
^ tajima is okay. i like their mercury location better

if you wanna eat some ramen, i'd recommend santouka

Users who are viewing this thread

Back