What to buy? - New portable eargear needed.
Apr 14, 2004 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

okinawa_joe

Head-Fier
Hey there folks, well I own a pair of Sony EX70SL buds, some wax started to build and while cleaning the pin hole on the right bud the whole paper like cover came out and fell down a window.

So, I have one bud with the filter and one without, nedless to say, this has destroyed the bud's perfomance.

So, I guess it's about time I upgraded to a better set o' phones, but I am presented with the doubt: What should I buy.

Now I need some help, and where better to ask for help than at the experts'. My budget is no more than 130USD for quality earbuds, the best quality that money can get me.

I have eyed the EX71SL, read mixed reviews but they tend to perform equal or better than the 70SL, then I though about some Eggos, but decided against them cause I think I'll look silly and rather have isolation.

So my main use will be portable however I'd like phones that are good for stationary use (say when at work, when at my place reading, etc), won't be working out or anything, by portable I mean walking around town, on the bus, on the plane.

I listen to all kinds of music, however Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, and lots of electronica get the most play time on my iRiver iMP-550 or Minidisc unit (whenever I have one at hand).

Besides the mentioned EX71SL, are there better earbuds to be had for that money?.

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Regards,

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 8
If you're still looking to get a canalphone, both the Shure E2c and Etymotic ER-6 are withing your reach at that price, and if you stretch a little bit more, you can get the Shure E3c.

All of those forementioned canalphones are a huge improvement over any Sony EX7*'s.

Apr 14, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi, okinawa_joe!

My advice is you can still try to rescue your EX-70 by using a adhesive tape over the tube and then pinching a small hole in the middle of that cover. I used small sticker from MD label set measuring 6x6 mm. The extra bit left can be trimmed off by razor. Also you can do the famous Redshifter mod - use search function. I just add I was happier with the EX-70 using small foam cylinder from low-end sony earbuds (it's on the rear side behind driver), sized about 3mm height x 4mm diameter. i stuffed it all the way down the tube, pressed it against the driver's protection screen using pinhead and that was all.

All in all: Your EX-70 are not lost yet, if they produce sound, and they can be improved, either by hardware (REDSHIFTERs) mod, or by Joe BLOGGS's EQ mod. They are very comfortable and it would be a shame just discard them as unusable IMHO.

Your
Moonwalker

Apr 14, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 8
Good, thanks for your replies. Moonwalker, I don't plan on throwing them away at all, the thing is that I think I can do better with a new set of buds.

I'll try that tape advise.

Now, E2C or ER6's ... are there big differences between the two ?, are Etys supposed to be better than the Shures?.

Also, you said both were big improvements over the EX series from Sony, that's what I am looking for exactly.

Are the E3Cs even worth it... I mean if I end up getting either the ER6s or the E2Cs will I be happy coming from Sony EX70SLs?

Regards,

p.s. oh, one more thing, do any of these come in the short cord version? I use remote with all my portables and shot cord is better.

Apr 14, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Shure canalphones => more fun, musical, and exciting sound. More bass.

Ety canalphones => more detail and resolution, more analytical. More high-end (treble) clarity.

It's really up to personal preference which one you like more. Although for portable situations, used in loud environments, people tend to like the Shure's more due to its more exciting sound, it's better at overcoming loud environment. Where Ety's bass sometimes gets drowned out by the background low rumbles of say.. buses and trains.

Are the E3c's worth it.. imo.. it is a worthy upgrade from E2c. However, coming from EX71, you should be impressed by the resolution of the E2c on its own as well.

None of them come in short cord versions.

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 8
I think I am going for the E2Cs, I've been reading some more here on head-fi and around the web and for what I am looking for I think Shure's E2C will fit my needs.

No short cord uh?, well I'll have to figure out how to make it so that I am not tangled in cords and more cords.

Do you or anyone know a place that ships to Europe (Spain would be even better) and accepts international orders ?

I am about to make the jump right now and order em.

Regards,

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by okinawa_joe
I think I am going for the E2Cs, I've been reading some more here on head-fi and around the web and for what I am looking for I think Shure's E2C will fit my needs.

No short cord uh?, well I'll have to figure out how to make it so that I am not tangled in cords and more cords.

Do you or anyone know a place that ships to Europe (Spain would be even better) and accepts international orders ?

I am about to make the jump right now and order em.

Regards,

i'm 5ft tall (dont laugh) and i dont have any problem with the e2c cord, its somehwere less than 4ft. you wont have a problem.

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Try modding them first.
Completely remove the filter on the other one.
Cut a little piece of foam off of a crappy earphone and stick it in both of the tubes, if you want a little acoustic dampening.
Then take some aluminum foil and cover the tube, then use a knitting needle and poke a hole.
Use some masking tape to cover the holes on the back, or fill them with glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back