What to buy in Bangkok!!!
Nov 16, 2008 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ssuh

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm heading to Bangkok for my honeymoon. Aside from the obvious activities, I intend to do a fair amount of shopping. I know Bangkok is well known for fake Rolexes, inexpensive tailored shirts, jewelry, etc.

But what I really want to know is: are there any cool headphones/dacs/audio gadgets worth bringing back to the US? I haven't been able to find too much of this info online. Any shopping tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 27
Happy Camper has a good point there.
(stay away from Pad Pong area)

Don't know where to buy headphones in Bangkok,
but some of the best silk in the world can be bought there.

If you're looking for jewelry,
seek out "Johnny's Gems", and get great deals on sapphires.

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 27
Let me start with the caveat that I have no idea what you will find there. It's been a few years and I wasn't shopping for audio equipment. But, The MBK mall is worth checking out, just for the overwhelming variety of the place. It is on a trully impressive (or horrifying, depending upon your perspective) scale.

Others, with more familiarity with the city, may have more specific suggestions.

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 27
Search for munkonggadget dot com

It's a popular shop in Thailand, but actually do not recommend to buy there because it's a bit more expensive than the online price.

Also, pm to head-fier - Munkong. He is the owener of that shop.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 27
Not to threadjack, but if you have a stop over in Singapore, you can get much better Headphone action. Just search for Jaben or Uncle Wilson.

( You'd need at least a 6 hour stop over to get in and back
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 27
ya...Singapore is one of the best destination in asia to try and buy nearly all headphones.

Jaben also had Sony R10 for some time../..sadly i missed the chance to audition it

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 27
Well you should eat a lot when you're in Thailand. After all we are the kitchen of the world.(At least that's what we're trying to be) Most shops are open for bargaining. Oh may be you should stay away from the government house area. there's a large protest site there. If you disregard the fact that Thailand 's having some serious political issues , I'm sure you'll have a good time in Bangkok.
About hi-fi equipment shopping , munkonggadget.com is a well known headphones shop in Thailand located in both Pantip Plazas 1st floor(Pantip Pratoonam) and 4th floor(Pantip Ngamwongwan). Prices are a bit high though.

I have to agree that Jaben Network in Singapore is one of the best place to buy headphones in Asia. Uncle Wilson(is that his name?) is very friendly!. I really like how he advice his customers.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 27
I guess audio equipment is not the thing to buy in Bangkok. Thanks for all the advice though. I'll be happy to spend my money on the food stalls instead!

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 27
don't forget to travel in Bangkok esp. around the Grand Palace area.

There's the funeral of the Royal family which is really beautiful.

G7190660-0.jpg

credit: PANTIP.com

Also, the Andaman sea in the south of Thailand is very nice to travel.
smily_headphones1.gif

have a nice trip!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back