What to buy for arround 2k?
Sep 8, 2018 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Moxx88

New Head-Fier
Hello guys

Im thinking about investing 2k into a very good allrounder headphone. Use cases:

- 40% Gaming (Fun and competitive)
- 40% Movies ( with HRTF to simulate 5.1)
- 20% Music (Rock, Electric etc.)

I dont use regular speakers so one of my major goals is to build up a very solid multimedia replacement. Its even possible that i invest into a Smyth Realizer anytime later.

I already tested the Sennheisser HD800 and HD800s. The HD800 would be really great for competitve gaming i guess (footsteps etc.) while the 800s would be also great but has more bass. But i have no idea how they perform in movies. The Music part isnt the most important task for the new phones because i already own a pair of Audioquest Nighthawks and like them very well in terms of music. Its really more about to get the best possible 5.1 simulation for games and movies while not loosing too much bass.

Other possible competitors are Mr Speaker Ether C or even the HD820, Can anyone give a suggestion? In best case i want to pick the headphone which can do every aspect very well :p

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Considering only 20% music use, spending $2k would be a waste. The other applications don't demand such upstream equipment.

Also since you want surround and easily have the budget for it, why not get an actual 5.1 or 7.1 surround system? The thought of using my lovely headphone system for gaming/movies/shows instead of my mid tier (at best) surround system appalls me (both systems are listed in my signature).

Good bass and sound stage for you use, I vote for HiFiMan Sundara which doesn't need a ton of power either.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 8
The main system in my sig is my virtual theater. Love it.

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Check the Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Gen)

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 8
Hey thanks for all the advice! Im forced to go with headphones because i life in a flat together with my girlfriend and children. Most of the time im also only able to use it later in the evening. Thats the reason why im willing to spend a higher amount of money just to get a very good headphone experience. @Zenvota: Does your current setup come close to a regular speaker system?

Sep 9, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 8
Hello guys

Im thinking about investing 2k into a very good allrounder headphone. Use cases:

- 40% Gaming (Fun and competitive)
- 40% Movies ( with HRTF to simulate 5.1)
- 20% Music (Rock, Electric etc.)

I dont use regular speakers so one of my major goals is to build up a very solid multimedia replacement. Its even possible that i invest into a Smyth Realizer anytime later.

I already tested the Sennheisser HD800 and HD800s. The HD800 would be really great for competitve gaming i guess (footsteps etc.) while the 800s would be also great but has more bass. But i have no idea how they perform in movies. The Music part isnt the most important task for the new phones because i already own a pair of Audioquest Nighthawks and like them very well in terms of music. Its really more about to get the best possible 5.1 simulation for games and movies while not loosing too much bass.

Other possible competitors are Mr Speaker Ether C or even the HD820, Can anyone give a suggestion? In best case i want to pick the headphone which can do every aspect very well :p

You don't need to spend anywhere near $2k... Audeze has you covered with the Mobius or Sennheiser/Massdrop with the HD58X...best all around headphones I've heard, other than my STAX.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Does your current setup come close to a regular speaker system?
Yes, I have a 9.1 atmos system consisting of a denon x4200w, various polk monitors, bic v1220 subs and bass shakers. The headphone system has much greater fidelity and detail, and while space/size goes to the speaker system, the headphones come close.

Audeze has you covered with the Mobius
Agreed, the Mobius is a great option, I should be receiving mine any day now. You can test Waves NX(what the mobius uses) and OOYH easily and for free. I personally prefer OOYHs measurements of speakers vs waves nx, but i cant comment on the head tracking yet.
https://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app
https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

I also found that noise from the PC and AC lines compounds with all the extra data from hrtf and hrir algorithms, and cleaning those up yielded a significantly more detailed, non fatiguing, and spacious sound. My second system is a good example of a more inexpensive solution, the regen, duu8, and topaz were all used and under $200 together with an optical connection to the nfb11.

For headphones id suggest good sub bass extension, a fast response, and not something overly bright. I also found that i have to eq headphones to basically flat, i think this is due to either the hrir of loudspeakers or a different heads hrtf, i just use equalizer apo.

Lastly I prefer separates for dac and amp to split to bass shakers, bass shakers rock.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 8
One of my favorite gaming headphones even though don’t do a lot of gaming anymore but also does good with music is the AKG K872’s and they are closed backs that will help in not disturbing others around you much as they do not isolate totally but better than a open back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back