What the difference between the Audio GD Roc and the Audio GD Roc SA
Aug 13, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 10
The normal version is working in ACSS current mode and is tuned for a neutral sound signature, SA version works in diamond differential and does not use ACSS nor ACSS cables, instead has only RCA and XLR input/output and is tuned for a "musical" sound signature. I don't have any experience with their diamond differential musical dac's and amp's, but from what I read, it is possibly something like "neutral, but slightly sweet" (google translation of audio-gd's chinese sound flavor page), the mild degree of coloration mainly noticeable on piano and violin but makes vocals more enjoyable. Speculation on my part.

Some people may strive for the most honest reproduction and any coloration is undesirable, but there's some people who would not mind a little coloration if it can make the music more enjoyable.

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 10
My understanding is that it would have a more tube like sound. Tube sound does not bother me, but I do like a neutral sound in the end (more accurate sounding).

The output power of this amp looks to be very awesome indeed. I might have to give this amp a try.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Any further comment on the difference between these too amps - I want to get one and am leaning towards the SA as I listen to mainly modern music based on my mac in lossless form.

I am worried about the extra power in the SA and whether it will be too much for my headphones -  D7000, ESW10's, HF2 and JH16's which are all low impenance, especially with the stepped volume control.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 10
I wouldn't worry about the volume.  You can ask Kingwa to lower the gain for you, so that shouldn't factor into your decision at all.

My personal experience with Audio GD stuff has been their DAC19 DSP1, one that they consider neutral.  IMO, it's fantastic with instruments, but vocals don't stand out at all with it (not that it does vocals badly, it's just not what you'd buy it for).  Stuff I've read says that their musical stuff is generally better with vocals.  So, if you listen to mainly vocal music I'd get the musical stuff; if its instrumental stuff I'd go for the neutral.  Keep in mind I wouldn't go for the neutral stuff just because it's neutral; accuracy doesn't mean **** when your systems so boring to listen to it's essentially a series of paperweights worth over $1000.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Audio-gd's musical series uses diamond differential design, not ACSS. If you connect this roc SA to an ACSS dac, you have to use RCA or XLR, no ACSS.

Quote:
Any further comment on the difference between these too amps - I want to get one and am leaning towards the SA as I listen to mainly modern music based on my mac in lossless form.

I am worried about the extra power in the SA and whether it will be too much for my headphones -  D7000, ESW10's, HF2 and JH16's which are all low impenance, especially with the stepped volume control.

I have some quite sensitive headphones, SA5000, 70 ohm 102dB/mW, and I listen between 02-05 volume out of 00-99 volume.

I would definitely ask Kingwa for either lower gain or a gain switch.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Roc SA comes with a H/L gain switch (+13/+7 db) which Kingwa has now said can be used in low for finer adjustment of the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back