What the crap is Bill Keyser and GoodCans.com talking about?
May 16, 2002 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is the earbud recommendation from GoodCans.com (yep, that's the very same headphone retailer that recommends Grados for most music listening):

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Keyser at GoodCans.com
Earbud Note - Though not fans of the small earbuds for sound quality, for private listening and portability, earbuds can be pretty handy. Since they are pretty affordable, we have compared over a dozen different models from many different manufacturers including Sony, Sennheiser, Koss, Jensen, Panasonic, and some no-names. To cut to the chase, our favorite so far has been the Sony MDR-E848LP. It offers relatively good sound, even in the bass area where most other earbuds fail, (including some of Sony’s more expensive offerings). At $30, the 848 is kind of expensive for earbuds, but at least it’s not as expensive as the $80 888’s which we don’t particularly care for!

Well, what do you think?

cya l8r

May 16, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Head-Fizers, in addition to reading that quote, can you please give me an earbud recommendation if you vote "It SUCKS!" or "Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that... "?

May 16, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 8
So, it seems to me, EagleDriver, that you are implying that Keyser's opinion is wrong... He states that he has listened to many phones and thought the 848s were a good value, that is his opinion, give it a rest already.

I am A/Bing the MX500 and 848 as I speak, and the MX500s handily beat the 848s in quality, with clearer upper range. I thought the EX70s were more enjoyable than both, but the MX500 had better upper range quality. The etymotics destroy any of these lesser earbuds of course. These are just my opinions...

May 16, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 8
I know, I know, a lot of Head-Fizers have disagreed strongly with this opinion. But I also agree that your own ears is the best judge. Even today, some of my favorite headphones (nope, not among those listed in my profile, but those that I use very often because I like the sound from them) are rated CRAP from other Head-Fizers!
tongue.gif

May 16, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 8
And one other note about Bill Keyser having heard Sennheiser earbuds:

I think he had heard the older MX-3, MX-4 and MX-5 models, not the current MX-300, MX-400 and MX-500 models. So take his recommendation of the Sony MDR-E848LP with a grain of salt.

Also, he didn't particularly care for the MDR-E888LP's because he felt that they didn't sound significantly better than the 848's, and he has found far better sound from big, full-sized headphones at the same price point as the 888's.

May 16, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 8
I have the e848's and I consider them to be crap. Listening to them makes me gasp for oxygen, ugh the closed muddy sound. My $12.00 aiwa hp-v161 sounds so much better than the e848 crap. Neither of them can even try to touch the clarity of my e888 or the bass(for electronic music) of my ex70lp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back