What the best notebook? - light, cheap, stable...
Sep 19, 2002 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
And not a mac!

My older brother wanted me to ask you that question... He is not at all interested in blazing performance. Basically, he will only need to surf the net (broadband, so please, built in ethernet), and use word. Plus the occasional powerpoint editing and such. Again, slim, light, pretty. But not the newest, prettiest, lightest or slimmest. Cus he's on a budget.

Just let me have some recommendations please
smily_headphones1.gif

And don't ask if he'd like built in cd or not and so on... Just the solution that seems good to you.

And yeah, i don't know his exact budget. Just that it's cheap. I'd say probably around 1000 bucks.

- Kristian

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
And not a mac!

Oh, never mind, then...
wink.gif

(But seriously, you did ask for one that's light, cheap, stable, slim, and pretty, with built-in Ethernet, for surfing, Word, PowerPoint, etc. Add about $100 to your budget and you described an iBook to a t
wink.gif
)

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 68
Yeah, the point is that how none of the PC (well, if not PC what do you want to call that consortium, Star Alliance? :p) makers have the sense to come out with something that resembles the iBook in feature/size combinations. It's... well, it resembles our Sony headphone quality doubts.

And I'm bringing up the iBook again because I don't see any notebook that's really light/small in your brother's future... they don't really exist in "small", "light" forms.

I wanted the Toshiba portege 2000... fits your brother (and me), except that they're $2000 MSRP
biggrin.gif
Same goes with the Sharp UM-xx (aka Muramasa).

Would the Sony Vaio 505 be of help by any chance?
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 68
With laptops, I'd stick with a Dell or Toshiba. Both companies make great laptops that are fairly priced.

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 68
Don't forget Gateway! I think they look worlds better than the cheap black-plastic look that Dell has going. Plus the dells even feel kinda cheap.

Dunno about shipping to you though....

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 68
Why not an iBook? Why go with "crap aimed at clueless sheep and penny-pinching corporates" Dells?

Mind you, Toshibas aren't bad.
Unfortunately low-end ghetto VAIO's suck - otherwise I'd recommend one if you have to go PC - although the R600MX may be worth a mention.

We have quite a simple policy:
Desktops - Dell, with "up to the hilt" warranty.
Regular notebooks: Toshiba or IBM
Notebooks for senior management and sales: VAIO or Apple.

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 68
I'm definently a fan of IBM's.
Here at RPI, they require students to have a laptop and about 98% of them have IBM Thinkpad T series (thanks to a good discount). They hold up much better than the rest of the junky plastic things on the market. These things are built extremely well (titanium composite reinforced covers!). They're a bit more expensive compared to the competition, but you also get what you pay for. They are very solid machines, and you can't go wrong with one.
I wouldn't get a Dell. Too many quality issues. My girlfriend has had one a year and has had to send it in 4 times for service (just because it's build like junk).

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Why not an iBook? Why go with "crap aimed at clueless sheep and penny-pinching corporates" Dells?

That's a sure way to convince him
wink.gif

Quote:

Mind you, Toshibas aren't bad.

My experience working in IT at a major university convinced me never to buy a Toshiba laptop. If I had to buy an inexpensive PC laptop I'd go with a butt-ugly IBM
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 68
Well, turns out he HAS agreed to let me drag him in to an apple store. Afterall, the ibook is absolutely perfect for him. Does it come with ms Office??

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 68
I used to support Dell and IBM laptops. For a good quality but expensive laptop nobody can beat an IBM. IBM laptops are built like tanks but unfortunately that means they weigh like a tank, too. Stay away from Dell laptops. I used to know the Dell service number by heart since I had to call them so often.

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 68
Yep, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a IBM t series or an Ibook.

More recommendations/experiences are very welcome
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 68
IBM's ugly??

Mac's look like happy meal toys...

Sheesh... with that attitude, you might as well trade in your HD600's for some B&0 A8's

Sep 20, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 68
Man, drag him into the apple store. I keep singing this song and I will continue to...Windows really blows.
All I really use my PC for is the internet and I still have problems with Windows.
I'm no expert, but I've had a Gateway and I'm definitely not a fan. IMO they're vastly overpriced for what they are.
Never had a Dell but I'm sure there's a reason why they have great customer service....they have to with all the problems their computers have.
I really think an Ibook is the way to go; you can even install MS office on it if you need to. I own a powerbook and really think it's fantastic. And everyone I know who has a Mac never has had it crash or hang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back