What Specs do you look for???
Feb 24, 2006 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Grinder

New Head-Fier
If you are a normal human walking into Best Buy and looking for cheap headphones. What specs can give you a clue on Bass.

Certainly not Freq Response which seem to be hard coded at 20,000 (or whatever it is).

If you are looking for a good pair of Sport head phones for under $30 for iPod or MPS - IS there anything or is it all a random hit or miss.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinder
If you are a normal human walking into Best Buy and looking for cheap headphones. What specs can give you a clue on Bass.

Certainly not Freq Response which seem to be hard coded at 20,000 (or whatever it is).

If you are looking for a good pair of Sport head phones for under $30 for iPod or MPS - IS there anything or is it all a random hit or miss.

The best headphones anywhere near that price point are Koss PortaPros. Those were the only "inexpensive" phones that I've ever owned that had decent bass and sounded different and better than others in the price range. They aren't sport headphones, because the ones I had 15 years ago had some pretty flimsy spongy stuff over the earphones. I wouldn't want those things getting all sweaty and nasty.

Everything else in that price range sounds about the same to my ears. I would look for function rather than performance. For example, earbuds for portability and convenience, etc. What kind of case do they come with... you know what I mean?
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinder

None... headphone spec charts are bogus, and blatant false advertising.

Search for that J-curve thread with all the freq response plots, that is a decent start. note that all those graphs are relative to the HD580. The headroom graphs are usefull too, so long as you use them to compare relative performance.

The best cans at BB are the UR40 or KSC75 IMHO, but its hit or miss if they have them at that particular store.

Garrett

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Dimensions and weight. That way I'll know if the shelf is big enough and if it will hold it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back