What Sony Headphones are these?
Mar 23, 2002 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
In this picture of the EMP:

earpro.jpg

They've got the same "rails" that the Audio-Technicas have, but with the Sony strap. Weird.

Mar 24, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 12
What!? That ugly little thing? I can't believe that small piece of crap is a headphone amp. Looks like a bunch of perfume bottles from Christian Dior or something....

(hoping that joelongwood will think so too, so he'll sell his Earmax Pro for a ridiculously low price....)

Mar 24, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 12
OT: arnett, your avatar is the front cover of The Beatles' Rubber Soul album! That's the very album that began The Beatles' drive towards creativity, and continued with Revolver and then finally culminated in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Abnd. And Rubber Soul was the album that inspired The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson to come up with the album Pet Sounds - which in turn inspired The Beatles' Paul McCartney to come up with Sgt. Pepper.

Back on topic, the Sony MDR-CD2000 is okay, but not really worth its near-$200 price tag.

Mar 24, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 12
SONY MDR-CD2000

avpronet_1680_6909104

High Quality Closed-Front Open-Back Headphones.

Large 50mm drivers for deep bass, wide dynamic range. 25mm thick urethane earpads help deliver exceptional comfort over extended listening sessions. Aura-Nomic design conforms to the ear's anatomy. Bio-cellulose diaphragm enhances natural sound reproduction. Extremely wide frequency response 5Hz-30kHz. Self-adjusting headband. Higher power neodymium magnet for maximum energy. Replaceable cloth earpads. Detachable wire.

Features:

High Quality Closed-Front Open-Back Headphones create a wide and open sound stage and are ideal for use with all digital sound sources, from Sony Walkman® personal stereo players to Hi-Fi stereo components

Large 50mm Drivers for Deep Bass, Wide Dynamic Range are significantly larger than most headphones for noticeably deeper bass, lower distortion and wider dynamic range; frequency response extends down to a low 5Hz

25mm Thick Urethane Earpads distribute pressure evenly around the ear for exceptional comfort over extended listening sessions

Aura-Nomic Design driver faces the eardrum for enhanced sound, and headphones conform to the ear's anatomy for comfort

Bio-Cellulose Diaphragm blended with Vectran enhances natural sound reproduction

Extremely Wide Frequency Response 5Hz-30kHz spans frequencies above and below the entire audible sound spectrum

Self-Adjusting Headband for a customized fit and increased comfort

Higher Power Neodymium Magnet for maximum energy with minimum size; ounce for ounce, Neodymium is far more powerful than conventional Samarium Cobalt or Aluminum magnets

Replaceable Cloth Earpads are removable and washable

Detachable Wire may be removed for storage convenience, or if you would like to purchase a longer cord

Specifications:

Type Closed, Dynamic. Drive Unit 50mm Dome type. Diaphragm Vectran-combined bio-cellulose. Magnet Neodymium. Impedance 32 ohms (@1kHz). Sensitivity 106 dB. Power Handling Capacity 1500mW. Frequency Response 5-30,000Hz. Cord LC-OFC Litz cord, detachable, single-sided, 11 1/2 feet (3.5m). Plug Gold-plated, straight stereo mini plug.

Weight: 10.6 oz (300g), without cord

Mar 24, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 12
lol... I was more interested in the frequency response of the amp, than the headphones... 4hz ~ 1mhz...

ok... so we can hear from 20hz to 20khz - what on earth are the other 980khz going to be used for? - connecting up to a satellite, and beaming into outer space to try and find ET?
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 12
1mhz = 1000khz. SACD spec is up to 100khz. Other digital formats may go higher at some point. The idea is that reproducing the frequencies higher than human hearing effects the sonics that are audible. The soundwaves collide with each other even when you can't hear them, eventually causing a domino effect that in sum makes the sound that is audible a more accurate sounding reproduction. At least, that's the theory as I understand it. The Audio Technicas are quoted with higher than human hearing frequency figures as well.

Mar 24, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 12
So that's the mysterious CD2000. Very interesting that it was released ten years after the CD3000 and CD1700.

It looks totally different, it's an open design instead of closed, and apparently sounds different, too.

I really like to CD3K and obviously the R10. As I recall, the CD2000 has received almost all negative reviews, but there were only a couple. How bad could it really be based on its pedigree and the fact that it may be an an updated version of some well-known, well-liked cans?

Maybe this one is worth re-visiting? Of course, I have no use for one myself....

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back