What song drops the deepest bass?
Jan 20, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #46 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
At 11Hz, I think the REAL question here should be: What equipment goes low enough to let you know which song drops the deepest bass?
tongue.gif

HD280s -- I used to wonder why people raved about the Telac recording of the 1812 Overture until I heard it on the 280s.
basshead.gif
Woah! So those ARE cannons, not just little pop-guns, after all!

Jan 23, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #47 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vosper
Hmm, bass you say....

Massive Attack & Mos Def - I Against I
Prodigy - Climbatize & Smack My Bitch Up (from Fat Of The Land)
Chemical Brothers - Under The Influence (this one's huge!)
X-Excutioners feat. Anike - Like This (again a huge bass drop, and it's damn funky)

Yeah, under the influence is great.

Some of my favorites:
Amon Tobin - 4 ton Mantis
Underworld - Dirty Epic (one of their best)
Underworld - River of Bass (kind of crappy song)
Squarepusher - Ultravisitor
Robert Miles - Paths - the whole Organik cd has pretty deep solid bass, its not just kicks

Jan 23, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #48 of 249
dont know if anyone suggested this, but Force of Gravity by BT goes pretty damn low. theres this note in the song that makes conventional headphones rattle and buzz. i think the only thing thats been able to produce this note fully are my HT subs
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #50 of 249
Had the oscilloscope out again. Nothing earth shattering though.

Line level = 0dB

Quote:

Roger Reynolds' Archipelago...deep string note.

Instrument: Acoustic Bass
Frequency: 62.5hz
Level: -11dB

Quote:

Tori Amos, Welcome to Sunny Florida...electric bass and kick drum...

Instr: Kick Drum
Freq: 100hz
Lvl: -3dB

Instr: Electric Bass
Freq: 50hz
Lvl: -9dB

Electric bass lower frequency, kick drum larger signal...

-

Correlating with loudness curves, bass notes need to be larger to sound loud.
eqlou.gif

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...nd/eqloud.html

Also, as far as hearing safety, a dBA measurement suppresses lower frequencies as in contour A below. (Borrowed a dB meter and noticed that the 85dBA scale, used as the EU directive, filters down the bass notes... : )
acont.gif

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...und/acont.html

-

(Hope the tags are working for other people. They haven't been working for me. Going to try to restart windows... hehehe... guess "BB Codes Temporarily Disabled")

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #51 of 249
If you want severe bass of the electronic variety try

DJ Benni Benassi

1 Satisfaction
2 No matter what you do

or anything that he has mixed, I went to see him at Turnmills London and we were vibrated into sonic submission.

Great fun good tunes

They will give your headphones a proper work out

Jan 26, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #52 of 249
So many tracks I can think of with ultra low bass, but one unexpected track I found was Avril Lavigne's 'Sk8er Boi'. I don't care about the track its self but at the 13 second mark and onwards I heard this very deep rumble from my system, it was pretty damn deep. It first occurs at 13 and then every 7 seconds seconds for a while then the normal chorus kicks in and it dissappears. It was so deep I could only hear it in certain positions in my room, otherwise it was felt more than heard.

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #54 of 249
I totally agree with Robert Miles Organik. I am listening to it right now. It's a really nice recording.

I will add (from the top of my head):

Lull-Cold Summer(First track has some deep bass tones)
Bill Laswell-Divination-Nice tight but deep bass lines in two of the tracks.
Scorn-Zander-I think track three has some low tone sweeps in the lower range that would test any speaker system.

Feb 10, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #55 of 249
Nine Inch Nails-10 Mile High

I didn't realize the speakers were goin' until the wind from the sub port hit me in the face from across the room. It's too deep a note to hear, so take it easy on the volume, because it will stress speakers and it will knock pictures off the wall. Haha

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #56 of 249
If you wan't some room shaking bass (don't know about the depht of it though) you can't go wrong with legendary old school rap producer Marley Marl. I also noticed a track from The Game's debut album The Documentary, It is produced by Kanye West and is called "Dreams" not only did the room shake even I jumped up and down
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #57 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
So many tracks I can think of with ultra low bass, but one unexpected track I found was Avril Lavigne's 'Sk8er Boi'. I don't care about the track its self but at the 13 second mark and onwards I heard this very deep rumble from my system, it was pretty damn deep. It first occurs at 13 and then every 7 seconds seconds for a while then the normal chorus kicks in and it dissappears. It was so deep I could only hear it in certain positions in my room, otherwise it was felt more than heard.

i grabbed this off the ether recently and you aren't kidding - that's some deep bass. only my DT770 caught it. and the rumble at the end is just meant to blow some eardrums.

Feb 10, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #59 of 249
I don't remember right now off hand, but the BAS's (Boston Audiophile Society? something like that) bass test disc contains a recording of an organ concerto that has a sustain 16hz bass pedal tone. I believe that would probably be the deepest bass in a regular piece of music. Of course, it's not really a song. And I suppose digital music could beat it for kicks. Most subwoofers (and probably any and all headphones) can't reproduce the note so it wouldn't blow out anyone's ears in normal situations.

Feb 11, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #60 of 249
Hmmm... My bets are either on something from Massive Attack

I against I seems like a good choice.... it is just low enough that doesn't entirely sound like a note... more like some primordial definition of bass.

Possibly the background drum on Three are ultralow, but they are too soft for me really get a fix on them.

Or most likely a Massive Attack rarity called Superpredators that they did for a movie (I think). That has bass you can just barely hear.

Though I have to admit that Mirwaise from the Snatch soundtrack seems like a good candidate too.

Dang, I guess I must be a bass head because at least half the songs mentioned in this thread are on my top 100 or so list.

OT: Also good to see people listening to Organik. Great CD, and one that it seems like people often overlook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back