What size Qualia 010 for me????
Mar 15, 2006 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

88Sound

500+ Head-Fier
I may have an opportunity to purchase a used pair of medium sized Qualia's set to their smallest setting.

The measurement from the middle of each ear over the top of my head is 16".

Does anyone know if medium is the right size for me? Assuming medium is the size I want how difficult is it to make the adustment required going from a 14" head to a 16" head.

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 14
For a Grado 325 from the metal post as it leaves the plastic portion of the headband to where it enters the holder for the driver housing is....... 5/8" on each side.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 14
Hmm, medium is probably okay for you. I wear my Grado about the same/a little bit smaller, and I'm a small sized Qualia at the max extension. I prob could wear a medium Qualia at min extension.

Still, you're close enough to the crossover that I'd want to try on a pair if possible.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 14
Also, I don't know if you are operating under any time constraints, but I think you can have Sony mail you a fit kit so that you can measure for yourself. It's just a piece of cardboard, but it does the trick. It's what they use at the Qualia room at the Sony store. The rep mentioned that they also mail it out to prospective customers.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 14
For reference, I wear an HD650 11 clicks down on each side and I wear a medium Qualia with the pads extended down.

To make sure, call the Qualia Store in Vegas, 702-697-0416, and ask for the fit kit (I forgot the phone number of the US Qualia center, and the Qualia website seems to be down (for good?)).

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I may have to take Insomniac's advice and go to the Manhattan Qualia store for a proper fit. Knowing myself this action will almost certainly result in the purchase of a new pair. It looks like the deal on the used pair will be going to some other lucky head-fier anyway so I just have to ask myself one question........How badly do I want a shiny new pair of Qualia's fitted perfectly for me.......at list price.......with the NY city tax added........

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 14
This just in...........

The bad news:

According to Sony there are no more new Qualia 010 headphones available anymore, anywhere. The Manhattan Qualia store is closed and the Vegas store confirmed that they also have no more Qualia headphones available.

The good news:

They are sending me a fit kit!
rolleyes.gif

Insomniac, it looks like your timing was perfect.
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Sound
This just in...........

The bad news:

According to Sony there are no more new Qualia 010 headphones available anymore, anywhere. The Manhattan Qualia store is closed and the Vegas store confirmed that they also have no more Qualia headphones available.

The good news:

They are sending me a fit kit!
rolleyes.gif

Insomniac, it looks like your timing was perfect.
tongue.gif

Hmm, that sucks. They said they had at least 15 in stock when I bought mine not too long ago. Did you try contacting the Cierge service there? Send me a PM if you want a contact.

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 14
I'd like to bump this thread.

I wear my SA5000 at 'size 6' on the headband (I can go 5 for not-so-comfortable-tighter seal or 7 for relaxed fit)... Do I need a small or medium headband Qualia?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 14
I wear the SA5000 at 5 on both sides. I'm pretty much bald so with no hair, the distance from the top of my head to my ears is not large.

I believe my Qualia is small-size and it fits very well. There's a little bit of room to extend the driver housings down, so I believe a small will fit you OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back