What site has these parts? Help a newbie out!
Jun 15, 2004 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kelesh

100+ Head-Fier
DIY links failed me. Many sites don't have it or don't have pictures.

I just want a sexy volume knob, 1/4" jack, toggle switch(correct name). They have to be pretty, but can sound like crap since its for a fake amp.(hidden cigar box).

One example of good picks are the parts in this pic:
meta42-1.jpg

What site sells this stuff? thanks.

Jun 15, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 25
nifty. what else do i need to mount a knob? i could just glue it on, but i'd like it to be able to spin.

Jun 15, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelesh
nifty. what else do i need to mount a knob? i could just glue it on, but i'd like it to be able to spin.

There's a pinch screw (grub screw) on the knob ............. you just need to clamp it onto the shaft of the potentiomer.......... get yourself a set of watchmakers / Jewelers screwdrivers (pennies from a bargain shop) and one of those will be the right size to torque the grub screw down onto the pot shaft.

Don't use glue! tighten the screw onto the shaft (finger tight will do) that's all you need to do for a secure connection.

Pinkie.

Jun 15, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 25
I would just stop by Radioshack for those parts. They have a few knobs, some sexier than others, 1/4 stereo jacks that work decently (but nothing to get too excited about*), and plenty of switches. If you're at MIT, I'm sure you've got one nearby.

*It's a good thing we don't get too upset by the fact that this is a hobby where we actually do get excited about headphone jacks...

Jun 15, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 25
there are like 5 radioshacks around here. one is near trader joe's, which i need to go to anyway, so i'll check that out tonight.

how can I find the part number for a switch like the one in the picture? also, whats a cheap 1/4" jack that looks good. a digi-key order would be the best way for me to get all this stuff.

Jun 15, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

there are like 5 radioshacks around here. one is near trader joe's

The one in Coolidge Corner? I was just there today.

If the LED in the picture is a 3mm, then the jack is really a 1/8" jack. Which one do you want?

Either way, good keywords for jacks are things like audio jack, stereo, mini (for 1/8"). Check for three conductors (some may have appear to have five, but it's really just 1, 2+3, and 4+5), and ideally, panel-mount. For 1/4" jacks, I like the Neutrik locking jack, but it's a big oogly thing (but solid as a brick) and Digikey doesn't have. You might do well with #SC1123, a Switchcraft 1/4". For 1/8", I use Radioshack's panel-mount jack (#274-249 for two). I think this is actually a Switchcraft model that Radioshack sells.

As for switches, they're a little trickier. I use Radioshack switches any time I need anything less than a DPDT switch, because I like seeing the switch before I order it. Switches are easier to search for than jacks, but be sure to check the datasheet to make sure you're not getting a jack that's way too big or small for your needs. (Which is why I like looking at them first.)

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 25
radioshack has some ok looking switches and jacks, but i wasn't sure if they were really that pretty compared to whats out there, and they were pricey, so i'll buy them online.

what are some good places to buy parts if digikey doesn't have them in stock?

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 25
Mouser and Pacific Radio are both pretty good places to shop. Did you check the DIY Links? There's a lot of stores there.

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelesh
DIY links failed me..

(first 4 words of the thread
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

(first 4 words of the thread )

Yeah, but that long list of places to buy DIY parts are all good places to look. Most of them have searches, and if you use the right search terms to describe what you're looking for (like "SPDT toggle switch"), you should be able to find stuff on them pretty easily. You're right in that they don't all have pictures, but most of them will have datasheets that have either photos or lineart of the components.

Jun 16, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 25
If you keep your order under 8 oz. at digikey shipping is only $1.98. Obviously to keep it under 8 oz's you would have to be buying a lot of small parts because you want to reach that $25 to avoid the $5 handling charge. Whenever I have used Mouser and ordered using 1st class mail the package costs $3.13 for Shipping and handling. So I guess what I am trying to say is that it is not that big of a deal to order from 2 places unless you have really heavy items.

Jun 17, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 25
whats a good site to buy tube sockets? I bought 3 83V tubes on ebay, and i plan to put 2 on the fake amp. Tubesandmore has 300b 4-pin sockets for $6 each, plus shipping
frown.gif

EDIT: I just bought 2 sockets at tubesandmore.com, for $11.90 + $2.50 handling + shipping, which is ~$6, so thats $20.50 for sockets!!

This brings my little projects costs thus far to:

AHANIX X154, D.VINE BLACK HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE : $117.68

Red Felt(3x3 ft): $2.75

3 83-V Tubes: $18.06

2 Tube Sockets: $20.50

Total: ~$160, and i still need to buy the volume knob, 1/4" jack, switch, and maybe a D battery holder and some glue
rolleyes.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 25
i found a volume knob.

also: what are the cheapest 1/4" jacks and power switches(like the one in the picture) that I can get on digi-key?

also: what is the name for a D-battery holder.(so i can power the led on the front of the removable tray)

Jun 19, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #15 of 25
got them all. now i'm just going to wait for the enclosure to arrive so I can measure it and see if a D battery will fit.... if it does its gonna be tight. i'll post pics once this $200 box is done
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back