What should the volume be on the source when connected to an amp?
Mar 16, 2007 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I haven't been able to get a good straight answer to this question...

When I have my GoVibe V6 connected to my Samsung YP-Z5, what should the volume on the Z5 be to get the best sound qaulity?

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 13
For my source I use the x-fi xtrememusic and I have it cranked half way on the computer and its like a quarter of the way on my amp. That right there is pretty much sufficient because its never too low and can crank whenever I need it be

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 13
High enough to prevent your GoVibe from distorting while amplifying the Z5's signal, and low enough to prevent the Z5 itself from distorting. I'd guess anywhere between 35-50% would be fine; probably anything from 10-80% would work, but I don't know the Samsung. Within that safe zone, the next question is battery maximization.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 13
Is this a trick question?

Isn't the answer --> Whatever sounds best to you.

Play around with it and see if it makes a difference and leave it at what sounds the best.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhkg11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not a line-out, can it really be considered an amp-able source? It seems like you're amping a bad signal.

Yup, amping a signal that has already been amped by a cheap built-in amp is a waste. You should always use the line-out. Otherwise, why bother amping a bad sound even more.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, amping a signal that has already been amped by a cheap built-in amp is a waste. You should always use the line-out. Otherwise, why bother amping a bad sound even more.

Orly? Thats not good... My Z5 doesnt have line-out!

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Exactly what I was going to say.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 13
I have a Z5 too, and I think it sounds pretty good from my headphone out, even connected to my home cinema, althoungt it's in no way reference equipment, a harman-kardon AV230 receiver with Infinity speakers.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

So you are assuming every player in the market has a bad headphone out. Zune users seem to be pretty happy about their Headphone out SQ, and X5 owners often prefer amping through hp out over line out.

Wow, that's some saying, you must have very good ears / gear... or maybe you just bought a 150$ cable from ALO or Qables and somehow need to justify it xD

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... It does seem to improve the sound from my headphone out on my Z5...

Maybe it's because now your headphone is getting enough power throug the amp to operate "properly".
icon10.gif
meaning that Z5's built-in amp is not powerful enough to drive your headphones.

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Maybe it's because now your headphone is getting enough power throug the amp to operate "properly".
icon10.gif
meaning that Z5's built-in amp is not powerful enough to drive your headphones.

That's exactly the case, the amp on the Z5 is WEAK. I often find myself listening comfortably to my K81's at nearly max volume while commuting.

Answering fraseyboy: I'm sure you have noted this, but the volume control in the Z5 is not linear, so that the last 1/4 of the volume bar has bigger steps than the rest (attenuator?) so I encourage you to push the volume to more than 75% and adjust the final volume through your go-vibe. Besides that, at low volumes I find the Z5 lacking details and impact, but that's just maybe beacuse of the weak amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back