What should I get next?
Jul 31, 2002 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jms007bnd007

500+ Head-Fier
Alright here is the deal

I want to upgrade but I'm not exactly sure what I should do next. Right now I have a panasonic 470 to a CHA47 and then to Senn HD 280's.

I like the sound of this setup except for the lacking bass in the 280's. Also I would like to eventually upgrade to a non portable cd player for home use.

I am thinking about either getting a denon or nad cdp....or getting some HD580's or HD600's (or maybe some Grado's). I will eventually upgrade both phones and cdp.

I listen mainly to Dave Matthews type music, but I listen to other styles as well.

What should I do first?

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 13
I've always been of the belief that an upgrade in headphones makes the most difference sonically. Many here disagree......that's why this forum exists. Personally, I would go for the Grados first (which model you choose depends on your budget), as they provide a very different listening experience than the Senns. The CHA47 was designed with Grados in mind, so you have a great match there. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 13
jms,
How about the SR-125? This grado is great and very easy to amplify. Plus, you have the Cha47...this will blow your HD-280 out of the water! I have the SR-225 and really like them!!! Many agree that you actually pay less and less for performance after the SR-125.

Purk

Jul 31, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 13
The audio technica W100 is a very good headphone. I would recommend that for your upgrade.

Aug 1, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 13
I have listened to some Grado phones without an amp in a local stereo store, including the SR60, 80 and RS-2. I liked them even without an amp. I think I will go back and try out the 125's if they have them. That seems like a good place to go with my next purchace. Thanks for the help.

Aug 1, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 13
If you like the SR-125, consider the Alessandro MS-1. It is virtually identical to the Grado SR-125 except that it intregates some of the higher-end elements of the SR-225. And at $99 shipped direct from Alessandro's website, it's a very good deal.

--Bill

Aug 1, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 13
Well actually I have been looking at prices on used 325's, and I think that I might just get a pair of those. Would it be worth the extra cost to go for the 325's instead of the 125's?

Aug 1, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Agreed. If you can manage to get a decently priced set of 325's and you like their sound....DON'T THINK JUST SPEND!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I doubt you will want to upgrade anytime soon after these...well maybe an amp...but you will indeed be pleased by these great cans.

Aug 1, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 13
I've been looking at used 325's, and some of the pictures make them look like they are made out of plastic. Are there two different versions of the 325 out there, one metal and one plastic?

Aug 1, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 13
SR325

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features:
Vented diaphragm
Aluminum air chamber
UHPLC copper voice coil wire
UHPLC copper connecting cord

Tranducer type
dynamic
Operating principle open air
Frequency response 18-24
SPL 1mV 98
Normal impedance 32ohms
Driver matched db .05

The Top of the Range Prestige Headphone.

Incorporates all of the design features of the lesser models, combined with UHPLC wire in both the voice coil and connecting cord. Non-resonant Aluminium alloy is used in the make up of the metal driver housings. Grado also embarked on a complex treatment in order to increase the materials porosity. This ensures that the earphone chamber has no "ringing" which may obscure detail or add coloration. The resulting Headphone combines clean open highs, well defined mid range and vocal bass.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 13
I'm not disagreeing with the consensus here but, I have the SR-125s, and personally I find them very peaky in the treble, with little bass definition, I have both the bowl, and comfy pads for them... and, regardless of what amp I use... I just can't dig the Grado sound...

Compare that to my MDR-CD1700s and META42... The meta seems to cool down the warmness of the mids, and they sound pretty darned incredible (just on the very limit of acceptable before reaching bright)...

Could be my ears I guess
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back