What should I buy? Future Sonics Atrio M5 (V2), Klipsch Custom 3 or Shure SE310?
Dec 1, 2008 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Houman

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I had the Sennheiser CX-300s, then I tried buying the CX-400s hoping for more bass and a better higher end but got a pair of fakes so I got the Dennon AH-C551s instead. I liked the bass on the CX-300s but the AH-C551s did not have enough bass. I also did not find the AH-C551s to be very comfortable (I commute), were not great on sound isolation and were low on sensitivity.

In the price range I can afford, I’ve been looking at Future Sonics Atrio M5 (V2), Klipsch Custom 3 and Shure SE310. The Sienheiser IE8 and the Westone 3 are over budget. I suppose the Sennheiser CX 400s (I don’t like in line volume control) and the Sennheiser CX-95s are still an option as well.

I almost exclusively listen to electronic music that can be very rich in detail across all frequencies (not your average Trance tune); however the emphasis is on the low end (right down to 20Hz). As such I’d like accuracy and clarity along the spectrum, however if any sacrifice were to be made, I’d like it to be in the highs.

If you have experience with the above headphones can you please help me pick one out or offer any other suggestions? I can’t find any stores that have demo models (Canada) and non will accept returns for hygienic reasons.

My source is Cowon iAudio 5.

Thank you very much,

Houman

P.S. With the emphasis being on the bass would anyone recommend the Image X10s over the Custom 3s? How much less bass are we talking about? I like the design of X10s better. Should I even consider q-Jays or something like V-MODA vibe?

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 35
I personally think the X10 makes an excellent Trance IEM. Warm, rich, detailed, and full of sharp, crisp bass.

I haven't heard the Custom 3, so I can't compare, but the X10 is definitely a good Trance option (or Electronic/Dance/etc.).

EDIT: If you're looking for an emphasis on bass over the whole spectrum, the Atrio M5 v2 is going to have the most bass (while still remaining clean), but at the expense of not sounding quite as good as the X10s (From what I've gathered from a number of comparisons). Some do prefer the Atrio M5 over the X10 though, and I am still planning on getting an M5 at some point in order to compare them myself. Either would work well for your purposes.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 35
Don't compare the Shure Se310 to Custom 3 please, thats an insult.

Haven't heard the Atrio, but they have good reviews.

X2 to Klipsch Image or Custom 3 if you don't mind cable noise that's the only downside.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 35
I'd say Atrios M5 or X10.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 35
did i read that right? you had the cx300 but wanted more bass???

well since u say the ie8 is too expensive then i would suggest go for the cx95 and get a fiio to give you absurd amounts of bass.

if you want that much bass you will not get it from the se310 or custom 3's

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 35
I'm about to try the Atrios V2.

A very very nice Head-Fi'er kindly sent his brand new back up pair for me to try
biggrin.gif

Thank you cn11!

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to try the Atrios V2.

A very very nice Head-Fi'er kindly sent his brand new back up pair for me to try
biggrin.gif

Thank you cn11!

That's the spirit! People helping each other out. Nice. I am going to bet that you find the bass very full bodied lol. I am getting some custom molds done for my pair.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't compare the Shure Se310 to Custom 3 please, thats an insult.

Haven't heard the Atrio, but they have good reviews.

X2 to Klipsch Image or Custom 3 if you don't mind cable noise that's the only downside.

How is that an insult? There's parts of the Se310 that are better than the Custom 3...to be very honest.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is that an insult? There's parts of the Se310 that are better than the Custom 3...to be very honest.

First off the way the earphone slides into the ear, the Se310 isn't so good. You can't get a comfortable fit with it both ways .

Second off, the way it seals is weak and you can't move around so fast unlike with any Klipsch Custom.

Third off, why does Shure keep using that crappy cable they have? Its so thick, and not durable they have been making IEM's for a long time, Klipsch has cable problems, but less problematic.

Fourth off the SE310 wasn't needed in the Shure Line Up, they put it in there to fill a void.

Now to the sound quality of the SE310 they can not compete with the Klipsch Custom 3's in any aspect of music. But of course your going to say well thats because they are a not a dual driver, they are in the price range of dual drivers, i'm not even talking about the Klipsch IEM's, what about Westone or Ultimate Ears. Its just sad that a 79 dollar IEM made by Apple has more bass then a 300 dollar MSRP IEM made by shure! Now I'm not saying it is worse then the Apple IEM, but the SE310 is def not the flagship of Shure, even if the SE420 and 530 weren't around they still wouldn't be.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 35
just becasue the 310 isnt the flagship still doesnt mean its not excellent, its gets some glowing reviews around here and will learly spank the ass off most things (oh and im so including the apple dual in that) 2 drivers dont mean better

zhdude you need to stop taking anything anyone says about the custom 3 as some kinda personal attack. chill listen to something nice and then smile
dt880smile.png

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 35
Custom 3. You get the most out the your money compared to the other two if you buy these. i promise.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

First off the way the earphone slides into the ear, the Se310 isn't so good. You can't get a comfortable fit with it both ways .

Second off, the way it seals is weak and you can't move around so fast unlike with any Klipsch Custom.

Third off, why does Shure keep using that crappy cable they have? Its so thick, and not durable they have been making IEM's for a long time, Klipsch has cable problems, but less problematic.

Fourth off the SE310 wasn't needed in the Shure Line Up, they put it in there to fill a void.

Now to the sound quality of the SE310 they can not compete with the Klipsch Custom 3's in any aspect of music. But of course your going to say well thats because they are a not a dual driver, they are in the price range of dual drivers, i'm not even talking about the Klipsch IEM's, what about Westone or Ultimate Ears. Its just sad that a 79 dollar IEM made by Apple has more bass then a 300 dollar MSRP IEM made by shure! Now I'm not saying it is worse then the Apple IEM, but the SE310 is def not the flagship of Shure, even if the SE420 and 530 weren't around they still wouldn't be.

Honestly, how hateful to shure do you have to be to say this paragraph? The Shure Se310 are totally not there just to fill the void, if it was, they wouldn't of spent 8 months designing the thing. The Apple IEM may produce "MORE" (quantity) Bass to the Se310, but the Se310's bass is definitely not lacking andmuch more refined compared to the APPIEM. By the way, you can easily get the Shure Se310 for $150. half the price of the Klipsch Custom 3.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

I'm sorry, you're saying "fit" problems to the Se310? and "seal" Am i hearing things right? Honestly, i can just tell right away that someone is saying A LOT of false and Bias statements due to the fact that they themselves are a big fan of klipsch and totally ignoring the rest of the world, and secondly, haven't even tried the earphone itself and commenting already how the other earphone sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back