what shops in japan? and what to get?
Nov 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

kugino

Headphoneus Supremus
i'll be off to my former homeland in a couple of days and hanging out mostly in osaka and tokyo. two questions - what to buy and where to buy them? i'm thinking mostly electronics stuff and stuff i can't get in the states. and anyone know the best stores in akihabara or other places?

i'm really not looking for anything in particular...but if there's something i HAVE to get (wii game? camera? phone?), what is that thing?

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 34
ESW10JPN.
wink.gif

you can buy some of japanese phones - but you have to get it hacked and insert a sim-covering devices such as hypersim. From what I've seen and heard so far, it's still very unstable in US and Canada's network (messages may not work, for example) and you can't use any of network features (online shopping, online photo album etc) so only good thing about them are half decent internal camera (your point-and-shoot has far better quality, natually) and good looks.

too much for paying 600-700$.

EDIT: bring some girls back
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW10JPN.
wink.gif

you can buy some of japanese phones - but you have to get it hacked and insert a sim-covering devices such as hypersim. From what I've seen and heard so far, it's still very unstable in US and Canada's network (messages may not work, for example) and you can't use any of network features (online shopping, online photo album etc) so only good thing about them are half decent internal camera (your point-and-shoot has far better quality, natually) and good looks.

too much for paying 600-700$.

EDIT: tell him to bring some girls back
wink.gif

i think i'll look into the esw10. i own the esw9 and the 10s look pretty...

anything else? oh, my wife might have something to say about the girls thing, but i can ask her.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 34
All that comes to the top of my head are the Nintendo DSi if you like keeping on top of Nintendo's revisions of their handhelds, and that headphone art book (Shin Moeru Headphone Dokuhon), if you're into that moe aesthetic (probably not, given that you're married :p). I think the DSi is released today, November 1, in Japan and won't be stateside for a while.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 34
I generally get a pair of japan-exclusive shoes like Visvim, and new balance japan, if you're into that sort of thing.

I generally avoid big cities if I'm going sightseeing though.

yeah, and definitely ask your wife, before bringing a girl back
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 34
Not exactly electronics store recommendations but perhaps interesting nonetheless... I kicked myself for not visiting the Square Enix store which was near my hotel. I also wished I had the time to visit Studio Ghibli's museum and store.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BRING BACK THIS GIRL

YouTube - McDonald's Japan Tomat McGrand [cf]

ah..i forgot this is a non-headphone section.

how about a Robot ? japan sells consumer robots

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah..i forgot this is a non-headphone section.

how about a Robot ? japan sells consumer robots

they tend to go crazy, and Will smith just ****s things up even more.

irobot1.jpg

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 34
Back when I first came to Japan in 1998, it was the place to buy gear cheaper than I could back home. But the situation has now changed completely and headphones especially are now MORE expensive here, including Japanese brands, than they are online from the USA. Much of this probably has to do with Japanese manufacturers not making their electronics in Japan, but in China.

However, the one thing you definitely should buy while you're here is a STAX rig - at least the SRS-4040. Even with the Yen being so strong, you'll never get one so cheap as you will while you're here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back