what shall I get in japan....
May 23, 2004 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ayt999

Headphoneus Supremus
so it is summer again, and time for me to make my biannual trip to japan. (my grandparents really really want to see me apparently. I wasn't planning on going, which would have been the first time I haven't gone there during winter or summer break since coming to the mainland, but I gave in.)

so anyways, I am going for an Omega II this time (there is something wrong with getting a Blue Hawaii without ever hearing electrostats beforehand or owning a pair of electrostat cans to use it with)... is there anything else that I should consider buying / seeing / testing / stealing (oh wait, that isn't good... ignore this one)? I go to japan often, but haven't payed attention to the audio market there too much. I'll be touring the used and second-hand shops for vintage goods for sure.

I may consider getting something there upon request for Head-Fiers... but nothing too big since I will be going with limited baggage (evil airlines and their baggage weight / quantity limits. nevermind that I am going alone and there is only so much I can carry).

entertain me. yay.
biggrin.gif
(oh ya, returning on June 12 so shipping stuff after that)

May 23, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 16
sushi in those rotary belt restaurants... hmmm...

do you speak japanese? last summer when i was at tokyo no one spoke english... not even coca cola

May 23, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 16
D-EJ915 - already have a pile of 20 to 30 unused ones (and several sony portable recorders / players) so no need for more minidiscs. I better use those someday.

they are $34 per 10 pack at audiocubes? I think I paid less than $10 per ten pack.
biggrin.gif
I can get some and sell them I guess, if anyone is interested that is.

May 23, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 16
chiefroastbeef - ya, I speak the language quite well, you could say I am a native speaker though I never went to a japanese school. (still trying to figure out if english or japanese is my native language. exposed to both since I was an infant.) at least well enough to get the highest score on that higher level Japanese Language Level B International Baccalaureate test.
smily_headphones1.gif

as for sushi, why go to those cheap place for the masses when you can go to real sushi restaurants where each piece may cost $10+ for the more expensive ones.
eek.gif
luckily I will not be the one paying for it.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 16
nice!

now you are not full japanese are you? from your berkely meet post you looks half italian and half japanese

just wondering, i'm facinated with cultures

May 23, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 16
terrymx - I can easily get them for a bit over $40 so add whatever shipping (from CA) and handling to that for the final price. tell me if you are interested.

May 23, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef
now you are not full japanese are you? from your berkely meet post you looks half italian and half japanese.

if you read the post, you should figure out (unless I wasn't too clear) that there were two Alex's at the meet and the one in the picture is not me.

I'm half german and half japanese btw. utep10 and gswpete I think took photos of me. there goes my cover, people will be after me for my headphones now.
tongue.gif

May 24, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 16
Buy me Sony Qualia 010
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 16
I was under the impression that the 010 is going to go on sale in july? I am only going to be there for a few weeks and returning on June 12th so I don't think I can get them. if they are going to be on sale before then and I am there, I am getting one for myself if possible.
biggrin.gif
if you send paypal first then maybe you can have one too if available (I can buy it and accept payment later, but would rather not being a very costly purchase).

May 24, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 16
edit: ah something just happen in the family and i have to help them cover the cost. it look like i wont be affording new gears this time. count me out and help the other guys. too bad, maybe next time.

May 24, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 16
alright, I am leaving and postings from me will go down dramatically... but I will be checking this now and then so post if you want anything.

I will get stuff on a first come first served basis until I run out of room to carry back. I will be getting some stuff myself (Omega II...) so room is already limited somewhat so hurry.

May 24, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 16
MiniDiscs: preferrably 5, since the packages are smaller + cheaper, I don't care whether they're 74 or 80 minutes.
Maxell MusicClub
TDK Ho
3-disc pack of TDK BitClub Yellow Arrow

...and if they're cheap enough/you can find them

Sony Sparkling blue (old version/discontinued)
Sony Lumina (newer version/discontinued)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back