What Sennheiser Next?
Feb 26, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #16 of 18
The HD580 is Sennheiser's 80/20 phone... 80% of the benefit for 20% of the cost. The 600 and 650 make slight improvements upon the design at a substantially higher cost. (see "diminishing returns")

When I first started this hobby, I had to have THE BEST equipment so that I could listen at the bleeding edge of performance and know what it was like. Now that I've had that blissful experience, I'm happy to settle with "excellent but not ULTIMATE" sound. Some people can be happy with less, others can't. I consider myself lucky that I can.

If curiosity is already tearing you in half, I suggest saving up for the 650 so that you can satisfy the little voice within. Otherwise, take the HD580, shrug your shoulders, and be happy with the amazing and unequalled deal that it is in the hi-fi headphone world.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #17 of 18
What's this whole thing about getting the HD650 only if you have a good source? Hear me out. It makes NO difference whether you get the HD580 or the HD650 or even the HD600 for that matter because they are essentially the same pairs of headphones!

I say you should save up for the HD650. Although the sound is largely the same as the HD600 and the HD580, it look much cooler and will also retain its resell value better in the long run. If you don't want to wait till your wallet grows, then by all means get the HD580. It will give you the same sound signature as the HD650 and also a very similar sound quality, if not more or less the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
The HD580 is Sennheiser's 80/20 phone... 80% of the benefit for 20% of the cost. The 600 and 650 make slight improvements upon the design at a substantially higher cost. (see "diminishing returns")

Couldn't agree more. So buy what you think is best for you. If you can stretch it, the HD650. If you are value-conscious, which btw is a very good thing, the HD580. Can't decide? HD600.

FYI, I went straight from the HD555 to the HD650 and I haven't regretted once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Prices will drop perhaps - success of AKG K701 will reduce demand for HD650 and a HD700 model could come out soon (no news just speculation).

Yes. Very true. The K701's apparent "amazingness" is even having its effect on current HD650 users, ie me! Actually, now that I've said it, have you considered the AKG K701 or the SA5000? There is a VERY good thread about their differences, pros & cons and what nots on this forum. See here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back