What potentiometer for under 100$? Please help!
Oct 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ashirgo

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I came up with an idea that I will be driving my AKG K 501 by my DAC (Stello DA-100), since Stello can do that. Unfortunately, I have observed a loss of musical resolution when using potentiometer in Foobar. That is why I think I need an external gadget such as potentiometer in a fancy casing, with RCA input and jack output.

What are your recommendations, fellow Head-Fi'ers?

By the way, if you find my idea just ill for some reason, please share your thoughts. For now, I do not see any reason to buy an amplifier, but if it turns out necessary, I will reconsider my "idea".

Regards, Ash

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhm... The Stello DA-100 does not have headphone output, it has line-level outputs. You will need to use something that is designed to drive headphones, not line-level signals (like a headphone amp or buffer, but an autoformer will also work).

Its powerful enough to drive headphones off of its outputs.

I would not do it passively with resistors. By adding a passive volume control between the power stage and load you are changing the source impedance with the volume too.

Good call with an autoformer/transformer based solution. It is probably WAY out of budget though.

time for an amp.

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess changing the source impedance changes the sound signature, right?

Might also upset your source
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess changing the source impedance changes the sound signature, right?

It does depend on the headphones, but yes, it generally does something.

in the case of grados, the sound is just kind of dulled a little bit, but the overall frequency response stays similar. In the case of a senheiser hd-580 or the beyer DT-770/880/990 (and others too) the sound changes by LARGE amounts depending on the source impedance.

If your comfy soldering a CMOY can be built with low gain (I like 3.5) that will sound GREAT.

A CHA-47 is another very good option although slightly more complicated than a cmoy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no potentiometer in Foobar
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a software.

So whats the graphical indicator to adjust the level called?

Not everyone can be right all the time like you Q. I suppose its a little bit of a fascist posting style but we all have our own unique style. I would rather not risk mock someone for a harmlessly incorrect word use myself - english may not be this posters native language.

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 8
Many thanks for your answers!

The use of "potentiometer" is a bit metaphoric here, you know:p

Now I will have CMoy built by a friend of mine.

Are there any important things he should know? It would be great if the amp was very neutral sounding (I love the sound signature of DA100). Any hints concerning getting the best parts for my purpose?

Ash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back