What plug to use for DIY HD600 cable?
Nov 21, 2002 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kwhilden

New Head-Fier
I want to replace the stock cable on my Sennheiser HD600 with my own creation out of Jena Labs wire. But it seems finding the proper plug to go into the cable can be pain. Can anyone tell me what plug will work, and where I can buy it? What does Cardas (et.al.) use for their replacement cables?

Thanks!
Kevin

Nov 21, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Assuming you are meaning the plug that goes into the actual headphones, my understanding is that it is proprietary and that Cardas developed their own plug. I do not think that they sell it as a DIY piece. Stefan Audioart also has an aftermarket cable (the Equinox) but I am not sure as to where James Serdechny gets his connectors. I do believe that he used to work for Sennheiser so he may know who the manufacturer is.

Nov 21, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 7
I suggest you simply use the connectors from your existing Sennheiser cable. If you don't want to sacrifice it, you can buy a replacement HD600 cable from Headroom for $25

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 7
I contacted Cardas asking them whether they'd sell the connectors. They replied they will only sell the finished product (complete cable). There's got to be a place that makes these.

Sennheiser site has a replacement cable for the HD 580s going for $16.80. It says “Replacement Cable with PX-4 adapter” Is the PX-4 adapter that little connector that plugs into the headphone?

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 7
I have been hunting those plugs for ages...
Cardas could kindly mold his plugs into your cables but you have to post it to them...
I you could find in this Forum Cardas plugs are a bit too loose and don't maintain proper connection over long period of time.
Currently Cardas work on better solution, which will be available beginning of next year. That time they might consider selling new plug to the DIYer...

Senn... does not offer separate plug for sell, I contacted them and they have similar double pin plug for mic equipment but this plug is too thick to fit into HD600.
You could try it and trim a bit with a razor.
Will try this soon, the guy I talked to is in Germany now.

Historically I've seen this type of connector for a first time in hearing aids made in 80s (particularly in USSR), maybe this is the way to go...
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by martioz

Senn... does not offer separate plug for sell, I contacted them and they have similar double pin plug for mic equipment but this plug is too thick to fit into HD600.
You could try it and trim a bit with a razor.
Will try this soon, the guy I talked to is in Germany now.

Historically I've seen this type of connector for a first time in hearing aids made in 80s (particularly in USSR), maybe this is the way to go...
wink.gif

If these connectors were available in hearing aids, then they should be available for sale from someone. Do you think the Russians would have it? Is the PX-4 the proper name for the connector? (I'm talking about 580's, not 600's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back