What pair of headphones to buy for the gym? PX100,Grado,VMODA,Koss,etc no budget issues
Jun 19, 2011 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eatmarkers

New Head-Fier
 I listen to a lot of music and wish to have a quality headphone for working out whether it be running on the treadmill or lifting weights. My workout list goes from house,rap,metal. I was thinking of Sennheiser PX-100, Grado SR80i, V-MODA crossfade, Koss KSC75 (might as well buy as they are cheap). I am just concerned about that the ear foam might get sweaty from the gym. Can you wash the ear foam? Sorry I don't really own many headphones but HD555 and Ultimate Ears 700 which seems to be broken as the headphones become detachable. Side note I might have weird/big ear canals or ever foam piece does not work with my Ultimate Ears 700 anymore and I bought the variety pack from ComfyFoam and the ear foams have been torn but small seems to work. Guess bad luck. Thanks for any help I'm new lol.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 6
If you care about how you look when you're at the gym, I would pass on the KSC75. And if there is no budget limit to what you want, there is plenty of better alternatives.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
If you care about how you look when you're at the gym, I would pass on the KSC75. And if there is no budget limit to what you want, there is plenty of better alternatives.

KSC75 would be the way to go. Google up some mods on them and you'll find a thread suggesting you can replace the earpads with some, i think from a cheaper set of Senn you can just order. They hold on great and won't slip

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Staying reasonable with your "no budget issues" = a clear vote for the HD25-1 II from me.
The washing really depends on the pad, at least as far as my comfort with it is concerned.  I'm sure hand washing most wouldn't be a problem.  I throw my HD600 pads straight into a netted bag and run them through the washer when they get extra funky.

You really shouldn't even consider the SR80i for gym use.  While they're absolutely wonderful cans,  there's no way they would be comfortable for how tight the fit would have to be to stay on you while moving around excessively.  They also leak sound / have no real "seal" to speak of, even with the bowls or 414 pads.  They also require a certain amount of babying because it's really easy to twist the cups all the way around many times and apply a lot of strain to the cable.

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 6
I'd recommend IEMs. Audiologists can make special molds of your ear to use with your Ultimate Ears 700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back