What Pair of headphones should I get? I already have the AKG Q701,
Sep 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Poetic

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking for a nice upgrade from the AKG q701. I really like the sound of clarity and sound stage of the q701's. Bass seems just fine to me in these headphones. But i want something that sounds Neutral, not so hard to amp. and has a nice smooth sound to it. I listen to alot of Jazz Like Paul HardCastle, Acoustic Alchemy. i want something simliar to the sound of the q701, but i guess better ?

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Im looking for a nice upgrade from the AKG q701. I really like the sound of clarity and sound stage of the q701's. Bass seems just fine to me in these headphones. But i want something that sounds Neutral, not so hard to amp. and has a nice smooth sound to it. I listen to alot of Jazz Like Paul HardCastle, Acoustic Alchemy. i want something simliar to the sound of the q701, but i guess better ?

Ive been looking at the hifiman he400, the Sennheiser HD 600.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 7
what will you be drivikg them with?

also, what about the q701 do u like?  what about the q701 do wish was better?

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
what will you be drivikg them with?

also, what about the q701 do u like?  what about the q701 do wish was better?

I like the clarity and Soundstage of the akg Q701. Sometimes I wish the q701 was a little bit smoother. I currently am recieving the Hisound 3rd Anniversary. It has 80mw of amp power. I currently use the Zune HD with the fiio e9 as my source. But am upgrading to hisound

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Im a huge fan of soundstage and clarity, as well.  i really enjoy analytical cans, but some times I just want to be a passive listener.  I find the HD 650 fills that void for me.  The DT990s I have are very nice and have a good bit of warmth, but they always remain analytical.

Your search may not end with a replacement pair, but a complimentary pair.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Your requirements are kind of tough. You basically want to fix any complaints people have about the Q701, while keeping the benefits. Honestly, I don't think you're going to find a headphone that will do all that, until you go to higher range. 

My immediate thought was also for the SA5000 from sony. It's got an incredibly large soundstage, but it's a little bit dryer and not as smooth as the Q701. The HD600/HD650 will be smoother, but not nearly as open, unless you have a balance amplifier for them. The HE400 will be a little smoother, and very fast. I would recommend that headphone. Even though I own a HE-6, I was totally impressed by the HE-400 and its capabilities. Plus, you get a first pair of orthodynamic headphones. Incredible technology there. 

Another option to consider is getting a proper headphone amplifier instead of getting a new pair of headphones. A dedicated amp will open the Q701 further and smooth it up a bit! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back