What other tips to try on Ety ER-4S?
Jun 28, 2005 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm getting some sample tips from Etymotics to try with my ER4S, but are there any other tips from other brands that work well with the ER4's?

What are your experiences with tips on the ER4's?

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 11
Try modding the foamies. This is the easiest and cheapest mod you can do and it really opens up the Etys and puts bass and mids into the sound. Get a foamie tip, find the shiny side, then find a the spot 2/3 of the width from the shiny side, and cut the foamie to trim 1/3 of its width. Put the foamies on, and you will be blown away.

I seriously do not know why all people do not do this. It transforms Etys into something truly special.

Some people who are familiar with this mod, say that you can achieve the same affect by using yellow Shure tips, which are narrower and fit onto the Ety post, so you might try them if you don't want to cut the Ety foamie.

Hope this helps.

dshea

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 11
My advice for Ety4S tips is to try the tri-flanges with OtoFerm Comfort Creme. The OtoFerm provides an excellent quality seal with minimal insertion, providing a noticeable sound quality improvement along with substantially greater comfort.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
Some people who are familiar with this mod, say that you can achieve the same affect by using yellow Shure tips, which are narrower and fit onto the Ety post, so you might try them if you don't want to cut the Ety foamie.

I have some E3C foams lying around, are those the ones?

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I have some E3C foams lying around, are those the ones?

yeap, the yellow ones. shiney side as stated. it's way more comfy than the tri-flange and not quite as obtrusive as the ety foamies. even if your ears are big (mine are teeny), the sound quality is the best because they're soo deep in your ear. seems to add a bit more bass, more balance to the etys. i've been using these almost exclusively with them for a year. the thing i sometimes forget, though, is that they do get tired and lose their springiness after awhile and sound quality suffers.... you've probably tried this already (knowing the patience of anyone on this this list) -- how did you like it???

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildeone
how did you like it???

Stuck at work...hate it when that happens

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Stuck at work...hate it when that happens

heh heh.... anticipation....
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 11
How about getting those foamies at your local drugstore and testing those out too?

And to wildeone, with our tiny ears, can you achieve maximum sealant with the 3 flange tips? Like are you able to get them deep into your ear?

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 11
I use Comply ear tips on my ER4P's.

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by b3n
And to wildeone, with our tiny ears, can you achieve maximum sealant with the 3 flange tips? Like are you able to get them deep into your ear?

all the way.... it took a bit of time -- to adjust and be brave -- but the bet seal i get by far is with the triflange. my ears may be small but they're deep. you just have to go slow with it and stay at your comfort level at all times. not everybody's ears are the same.... i also way overdid it at the beginning and had to pull back a bit. now i just kind of shove. if i'm on a plane or a train, settling in, i do everything proper like tugging the ear up, jaw down, etc., to get the perfect seal with the triflange.... if it's a quickie, i tend to use the shure yellow foamies, roll and go.... just remember that you don't have to get all three flanges *completely* in your ear to get great sound. feel your way, and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back