What Other Headphones Should I Listen To?
Aug 6, 2010 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tessla

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi, long time lurker first time poster here, this forum has been a fantastic knowledge base!

I've had a pair of Grado SR-60s and Shure E2cs for several years now. The Shures are nice for their portability and noisy environments, the SR-60s have been my main headphones for sitting down and listening to music. I've been meaning to look into some upgrades now that I can afford them; good closed headphones and better home listening headphone in particular. $200-300 range preferably, though if there is something worth saving up for, I would certainly consider it! Amps are definitely a possibility for home listening. Affordable IEMs dramatically better than the E2cs would not be a bad thing either, but they aren't a high priority.

I had an opportunity today to hear quite a few of the Grado headphones, as well as the B&W P5. I wasn't very impressed by the sound of the P5, the lower mids seemed a little too exaggerated and the sound was a bit muddy, I noticed more detail in the SR-225s.

As for the Grados, I heard the SR-80, SR-125, SR-225, RS-2 and GS-1000. I really like the Grado sound, the SR-225s and RS-2s stood out for me as having the biggest leaps in sound quality, mainly in the form of tighter bass and fuller sound with better detail and definition between instruments. The GS-1000s were a treat and a completely different sound; I'm trying not to think about these very much at the moment, as I was expecting much more diminished returns at that price point.

As much as I love the Grados, they don't make a closed headphone and I'd like to hear some headphones with a different sound as well, particularly something more neutral. What else would you recommend I listen to?

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Check out the Shure SRH840.

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 8
I disagree.  If you're used to the Grado sound and like it, you will likely find the 840s to be a bit bland.  If you are seeking out the opposite sound signature, you might be happy, but my guess is you'll find them disengaging.

I'd say give the Ultrasones a shot.  Since you are used to Grados, you can handle a bit of brightness in the upper end.  With the Ultrasones, you'd get a much wider sound stage, and some rip-roaring bass.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 8
I am used to the Grado sound and I enjoy it, but they can be a bit unnecessarily bright and punchy at times so I'd like to check out different sound signatures as well. Both of these suggestions sound intriguing!

I listen to a ton of rock, but how do the Shures and Ultrasones handle classical? Specifically, big symphonic and Baroque chamber music.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 8
You sound like a candidate for the Sennheiser HD-600. A much more neutral sound compared to Grados, but I think you'll love the way they handle classical. You said that you might buy an amp, and the HD-600 needs one. But I think you'd enjoy them. Another worth considering is the Beyerdynamic DT880. Not as neutral as the HD-600, but they're good headphones, too.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 8
you said you wanted a pair for serious at-home listening.
is there any reason why you are going for closed headphones?
that really wipes a ton of great headphones from the field of play....

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm interested in the closed headphones for travel and noisier environments (plus, since I don't have any, it's easier to justify looking into them!)

At the same time, I'm very curious to see what's out there for open headphones as an upgrade path for at-home, particularly more neutral headphones. The Sennheisers have caught my eye in the past, but I've never had a chance to try the HD-600 specifically. I haven't managed to find any of the Beyerdynamics locally, but they do look interesting, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back