What OS do you run: XP, Vista, Linux, Mac?
Aug 2, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #211 of 360
I'm a linux / os x user. If I had to choose between them, I'd choose linux simply because of the amazing choice you have in your desktop environment and applications. Like windows, you're quite tied down to particular things in os x.

Oh, and 98% of the software you want in linux is free.

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #212 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@vinyl ripper: the drives don't even have to be the same size (JBOD) but for best performance matched drives would be the best. Does your mobo support sata?

Yes, it has sata, what I don't have is money..
biggrin.gif

I just want to add another 80 gig so that I can both double my storage capacity and increase my drive throughput.

I've found that certain models of the Seagate Barracuda 80 gig go for considerably less than others. They are both 7200 rpm, I think the only substantial difference is that the one I have has an 8 meg buffer and the one I'm considering has a 2 meg buffer.

I've been editing some really large photos lately (6128 x 4596) and I'm getting tired of waiting on the hard drive to spit them back out when I change windows. I have a 7.2 megapixel Sony cam with a Zeiss Vario Tessar lens and have found a program that will allow me to take about 7 or 8 pics of the same scene in burst mode and add them together to double the image size and double the resolution at the same time as reducing noise.

So basically, I now can get 28 megapixel pictures with a 7.2 megapixel camera.
eek.gif

Given that 35 mm film resolution is equivalent to about 11 megapixels, I think that is pretty darn good.

Just in case anyone is interested the program is Iris and it is freeware but definitely not for the casual user.

FWIW, I yesterday picked up a gig of PC4200 240 pin ram for $22 shipped from that auction site that may not be named.

It was listed for an iMAC but after a little looking I found that macs and winboxen take the same memory now..
cool.gif

I spent fifteen minutes looking and saved $20 or more.. A decent tradeoff for my situation.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #214 of 360
Uhh...I think I am going to get a black macbook.... It will me my first experience with osx. For the features offered it is pretty good and the student discount is nice.

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #215 of 360
I seem to buck the trend here...

ubuntu 7.04 on desktop at work (xp pro on laptop for exchange) and xp pro at home for gaming.

I'd use linux full time if vmware ever gets around to implementing quality graphic driver. Till that happens; I will stick with windows at home.

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #216 of 360
I apologize for my late replies.

@wanderman - yes, i agree, the 7950 will be staying until the next generation cards. I own a white macbook, and suggest you purchase and enjoy your black macbook. Apple builds a good system aside from certain irks i have with the OS. The hardware itself is top notch, although the sharp edged sides of the open notebook leave much to be desired (it only bothers if the level of your hands is less that optimal in relation to the laptop)

@thevinylripper - it is to you that i apologize for not responding in a far more timely manner.

yes, the drives don't have to be entirely identical. You do want at least the same rated size, bus connection speed (rpm speed as well), and cache size. Other than that it's good to have same manufacturer, and the closer the better. Depending on your raid chip, you should have no problems setting up a raid 0 with two similar 80G drives. However, I do caution you likewise. Raid 0 has absolutely no data safety. If one drive fails, you lose all your data. Period. If you wish to do this, i suggest you make a backup of your files on a regular drive. While a raid 0 will bump your throughput, it may or may not be as significant as you expect, due to a variety of factors. All told, a raid 5 is a much better setup, offering both exponential increase in writespeed in addition to data safety, however this requires not only more powerful chip logic, but also more disks (4 if memory serves me correctly).

Soon, I will be setting up my desktop PC with an AMD 64 X2 6000+, a PhysX card, EVGA mobo, and an external ASUS drive, in addition to a raid 5 featuring five 10,000 rpm 150GB raptor drives, which i expect to net me over 200mb/sec transfer bandwidth. I will be sure to update you on this experience in comparison to the 2 raptor drives raid 0 i currently have used (i split it a while back)

If you have any more questions I would be honored to answer them for you or anyone else who may have them to ask.
Rhynri

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #217 of 360
Rhynri,

Thanks for the advice but I went ahead and bit the bullet and got two 200 gig Barracuda 7200 rpm 8 meg identical sata drives. My mobo does sata raid so they will do what I want and more.

Yep, I'm aware that raid 0 has no data recovery options. I'm used to backing up critical stuff anyway. I'll probably get a big, slow usb drive fairly shortly for that and unplug it when not backing up data.

Slow is pretty cheap these days and I already have a laptop usb drive I use for toting data around. USB/ide/sata interfaces are dirt cheap now and I'll be able to make use of some of my hodgepodge collection of drives. Just plug one in, back up data, plug another in and back up more and so on. Once I get to the point I can do incremental backups it probably won't be all that hard.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #218 of 360
I absolutely love my Mac Pro. I triple boot OS X, Vista Business X64, and Kubuntu Feisty, and spend 98% of my time on OS X. Some of you might call it the "Apple Way" but I always have tons of things open at any one time spanned across 2 x 19" widescreen LCDs, and I love being able to switch between applications with the dock, and I have trouble working without the unified menubar at the top of the screen. On top of that, Expose is great(much better than that Vista flip thing).

On hardware price... for what I paid, the Mac Pro was a a great deal. Go to Newegg.com and price out 2 x Xeon 5150s and an Intel 5000x motherboard. That already gets you to ~$1800(when I got it, the motherboards were $200 more which would have brought the price of those components up to $2000) for $500 more($2300 total from Amazon), I got a WD Caviar 250 GB HDD, 2x512MB DDR2 FB-Dimms(fully buffered server memory), an optical drive, a kilowatt power supply, an awesome fully aluminum case that allows EXTREMELY easy hard drive/pcie-card/RAM/optical drive upgrades, and an OS X license. The case has four trays for hard drives that you just screw the drive into and slide in, and 2 more SATA ports on the motherboard for either future optical drives(Blu Ray and HD DVD often use SATA instead of IDE), or two more hard drives if you can find a place for them.
macpro.jpg

I can see why people say Apple hardware sucks... I only have two dual core Xeons and 3 GB RAM.

I'm not a huge gamer, but I do occasionally play games, and that is what Vista is there for. True, Vista is a bit of a hog, and the graphics card drivers aren't quite up to par yet, but I think some of you are being a bit harsh. I'm mainly a Mac user, and I feel this way. It's about damn time Microsoft actually renders the desktop(OSX has Quartz, and Linux has Beryl). I hated how every earlier Microsoft OS had graphical trouble with movement of windows. I haven't had Vista totally crap out on me yet, although stuff still does become unresponsive some times, and the task manager "end task" button is still essentially useless. Stuff doesn't crash as often as it did in XP, as long as you are smart and use malware scanners, you shouldn't have security problems. And about security and the whole "sandbox" thing. All they did was fix a leaky boat by placing it into another leaky boat. They need to fix the underlying security issues, and that is how applications interact with the OS sandbox or no sandbox. Me thinks the MS devs should look into the *NIX book.

The one thing Windows does that OSX should is include remote desktop software with the OS. I know how to use SSH which is built into OSX, but I always need to hope Cygwin is installed on the machine I'm using to access my own.
My Vista hardware scores:
5.9 Processors
5.9 RAM
5.4 Hard Drive
4.3 Aero(Due to the 7300 GT)
4.3 Games(Due to the 7300 GT)

And onto Kubuntu... I don't know how anybody can use Gnome. It is completely crippled and counter-intuitive, and I totally agree with Linus's stance. I hate how the applications are across the top of the screen. KDE + kickoff(a must!) + beryl however makes a pretty neat setup. The debian package manager is awesome. All the software you need for day to day stuff is right there! I got pretty sick of having to wait for portage to calculate dependencies in the gentoo based distros I've used. GNU/Linux is maturing pretty fast, and I have high hopes for it. I wouldn't be surprised if 5 years down the line I found good reason to switch from OS X to Linux.

Edit: Did I mention this beast is almost silent

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #221 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Archon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And onto Kubuntu... I don't know how anybody can use Gnome. It is completely crippled and counter-intuitive, and I totally agree with Linus's stance. I hate how the applications are across the top of the screen. KDE + kickoff(a must!) + beryl however makes a pretty neat setup. The debian package manager is awesome. All the software you need for day to day stuff is right there! I got pretty sick of having to wait for portage to calculate dependencies in the gentoo based distros I've used. GNU/Linux is maturing pretty fast, and I have high hopes for it. I wouldn't be surprised if 5 years down the line I found good reason to switch from OS X to Linux.

I don't know how anybody can use Gnome or KDE
wink.gif

WMs is where it's at - lean and mean - personally I use Openbox. And did I mention pretty?

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #222 of 360
OS X. I'm on XP Pro at work all day so when I come home I'm looking for something different.

And I can't stand all that crap typically running in the background on Windows, or having to take steps to keep stuff I don't want from running.

And I can't stand having to wait 5 minutes for the stupid things to start and 5 minutes for them to shut down.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #223 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyllium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried using a separate SPDIF transport to get the sound to the EMU 0404USB from Linux? You could either use your onboard optical out (if available) or get something that has USB in, SPDIF (either coax or optical) out.

i've tried this method in windows. i had my onboard sblive 24bit toslinked to my emu 0404 usb. it didnt sound nearly as good as when i had the emu connected thru usb. maybe because sblive doesnt have native asio drivers?

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #224 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I can't stand all that crap typically running in the background on Windows, or having to take steps to keep stuff I don't want from running.

And I can't stand having to wait 5 minutes for the stupid things to start and 5 minutes for them to shut down.

Ain't it the truth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back